Thursday, May 1, 2014

Deep Waters



Sunday morning arrived this past week, as it always does and for the first time in many years, I had no idea as to where I would go to church.

I'm in a new town... Houston, Texas.
I'm without my family... They are still in Dubuque, Iowa (1116 miles away)
I have a new job... Assistant Tennis Pro at the Carlton Woods Country Club, thanks to one of my best friends. 
I'm without my traditional pillars that provide buoyancy to my life that keep me from sinking:
Security, comfort, family, church, house, neighborhood, neighbors, friends, space and routine.

To put it bluntly...

I'm in Deep Waters...

On Sunday I decided to go to a Mega-church where I knew that I would know no one except for God alone. I took my seat, texted "Welcome" to the number on the big screen and received an immediate text saying, "Welcome to our church!"

The opening song began and my mind and heart were critical and closed.
The second song began and I simply melted into a well of deep tears that only added to the volume of deep waters that surround me.

I'm familiar with this song but had never seen the lyrics written down. As they were projected on the big screen before me this song took on a deeper meaning.

Let me offer these lyrics to you... 

"Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)"

You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep
My faith will stand

And I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sovereign hand
Will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and You won't start now

So I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

[6x]
Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior

I will call upon Your name
Keep my eyes above the waves
My soul will rest in Your embrace
I am Yours and You are mine

My iWitness...

One day as Jesus was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret,[a] the people were crowding around him and listening to the word of God. He saw at the water’s edge two boats, left there by the fishermen, who were washing their nets. He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little from shore. Then he sat down and taught the people from the boat.
When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.”

I don't know about you but I love the SHALLOW END of the pool!!!
I can touch the bottom.
When the water gets rough I can touch the side.
When I need to, I can get out.
I am in control...

The DEEP WATERS do not offer such luxuries...
but rather incredible necessities...

Trust
and
Trust
and more
Trust

So, here is my mantra for the days ahead...

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior

I will call upon Your name
Keep my eyes above the waves
My soul will rest in Your embrace
I am Yours and You are mine

What I have discovered in the last couple of days is that there are many of us in the deep waters...
O Lord...
"Keep my eyes above the waves...
Keep my eyes above the waves...
My soul will rest in your embrace
I am Yours and You are mine."

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!



No comments:

Post a Comment