Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Application

 


It was a bitter cold day as we sought refuge in a Wendy's restaurant for some of their "chili", with cheese sprinkled on top, no onions please. Faith and I snuggled next to each other in the booth as we sat opposite Joshua who was dwarfed by the coats, scarves and gloves that were stacked next to him.

I looked out the window and was a bit startled to see a woman making her way across the vast parking lot wearing only a light jacket to protect her from the below zero temperature. Her hair was disheveled from the wind. She was probably in her early thirties but the "wind chill factor" of life made her look eligible for an AARP card. She came into the restaurant, proceeded to the front counter and then found a seat. She had no food. What she did have before her on the table gave her more than just a few puzzling looks. Both hands, which donned six rings for her ten fingers were firmly affixed to the tabletop. With pen in hand she looked exhausted yet ready to tackle her project for the day.

She leaned forward and began to fill out what everyone of us have filled out at one time or another...
"The Application."

My iWitness...

Has anyone ever had to fill out an application to be your friend?
Doesn't that sound ridiculous?
Yet, how many times have I done just that?
"Thank you for coming into my life, but I am going to need to have you fill out this application before I can accept you and employ you in my world."

What are your qualifications? What is your experience? Have you ever been fired or let go as a "friend" before? Please list at least 84 references? How many friends do you have on Facebook? What qualities will your bring to the friendship? How will my life be enhanced by your presence?
Once you have finished filling out the application please have it notarized!

As much as I am struck by what Jesus says, I am more often startled by what he "does not" say.

Jesus says, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11. 28)

Listen to what Jesus does not say...

Come to me once you have your life straightened out.
Come to me after you have some more "spiritual" experiences.
Come to me when you have memorized the Beatitudes (They are found in Matthew 5).

Come to me when you look all beautiful and put together.
Come to me after you have successfully started a company from scratch and have just launched your IPO.

Come to me after you have passed your "background check."

Listen to what Jesus does say...
Come to me...
Just come on over and come on in.
You're hired!
You're on the team!
You're part of the family!

And oh, by the way... get rid of that application in your hand.
No application needed!

I think I will throw away those applications I carry around with me today.
How about you?

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment