Friday, February 15, 2013

Creating Room for God

I was walking through the K-mart parking lot yesterday and came across a four door sedan that looked rather odd to me. It was a Chevrolet Classic. Everything looked just fine on the outside. It was a little dirty from the salt and snow. Overall, it looked like a normal car.

Upon closer observation, it was what was on the inside that drew my attention. In fact, I stopped walking in order to take in what my eyes were seeing. Inside this car there was trash, paper, newspapers and bags that literally and completely filled the car up to the top except for one space - the driver's seat.

My iWitness...

I had to wonder, "How long does it take to fill up a car with trash with only enough room for the driver?" The car didn't look that old.

I was quickly reminded about my own life. How much trash fills up my own life that only leaves room for me - the driver? In fact, there are times I am relieved that there is so much trash for that very reason -  "there's only room for the driver, who happens to be me!"

The stark reality of the car in the parking lot was that it looked perfectly fine on the outside. But on the inside it was filled with trash.

How much time do we spend on making sure the "outside" looks great, refined, stylish, complete and cool?

How much time do we spend cleaning and clearing out the trash on the inside?

I believe that the car of my life was made to carry more passengers than just me. When it is filled to the top with trash there is no room for God.

O Lord, create in my car more room for You and take my hands and let them relax and quit clenching tightly to those things that are really just trash in my life. Amen!

"Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me." (Psalm 51. 10)


And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and fear not!
David!



No comments:

Post a Comment