Sunday, February 3, 2013

Innocence lost...

Three acts
One reported by a friend
One heard in the parking lot
One experienced at a basketball game

In a span of 48 hours the pure innocence of childhood had crossed the line into the world of the tainted and the stained. What was once white has now become scarlet.

Innocence lost... a new trail is being blazed where there is no turning back. The gate to the Garden of Eden is now closed and locked. Once we have been hurled into the surrounding territories there is no going back... ever...

My heart sinks and saddens.
No longer are my children in their protected world.
They are now in my world.
"Welcome..."

I knew the day would come.
I just didn't know it would happen yesterday.

My iWitness...

Do you remember when you crossed the bar from innocence into wide-eyed awareness that all was not right with the world? All was not right with your family? All was not right with your best friend's family? That day when the dull ache came into your world and has never left. Do you remember?

I remember one day when I was in second grade and two girls walked by my house while I was out in the driveway and they gave me "the finger". It was so blatant. It was meant to harm. And the arrow of worldliness hit its target that day - my heart. It hurt. I didn't fully understand and I didn't really know what that gesture meant. I just knew that it pained me. The look on my mom's face when I told her spoke volumes in a nanosecond - Good-bye innocence... no going back.

There seems to be a push to grow up fast and become wise to the ways of the world. I seem to be bucking the system. I would really like to go back to that day where innocence reigned in my world.

Maybe that is why Jesus said, “Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands on them." (Mark 10. 14-16)

There are some very appealing qualities about being a child that disappear when the innocence is lost. Implicit trust. With each new day the arguments and the bickering and fussing of yesterday are gone. Every day is truly a brand new day. Children marvel at everything new. And one of my favorite childhood qualities is the delight found in the repetitious monotony of things. You have heard children say this a million times, "Do it again!" And we do it again and they say, "Do it again!" They never tire or get bored with the monotonous repetition... "Do it again" echoes through our ears...

Ever wonder that maybe, just maybe, God sits on His mighty throne and with knees drawn up and with eyes dancing and hands clapping looks at the sunrise and the next day says, "Do it again! Do it again!"

I long for such innocence... One day my friends, one day...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!


No comments:

Post a Comment