Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Talking to God

I was talking with someone yesterday that I had just met for the first time. We talked for about 90 minutes.

My iWitness...

We have conversations each and every day with people we know and with people we don't know. How does our conversation differ with each category? How is the tone similar? How is the tone different? What is our body language like with different people? Tense? Relaxed?

What is our conversation like with God? What is our vocabulary? Is it conversational? Revered? Fearful? Stammering and stuttering as we approach the King of Kings and Lord of Lords? Or is it simple, honest and true like a little child to her mom or dad?

In going through my Christmas cards the other night I came across this prayer that a dear friend had sent. I love the language, the tone and the vocabulary. It's a prayer that dates back to a 1941 Lutheran Book of Prayer. Although the old English is new to my ears and lips, the One to whom I pray is not...

"Again, O heavenly Father, Thou dost grant me strength to rise to the tasks of the day, and thank Thee for this Thy mercy and love. Without being upheld by Thy power I should be unable to live. Give me a spirit of gratitude for all Thy gifts. Above all Dear Father, keep me grateful for the gift of forgiveness of all my sins through the merits of Jesus Christ, Thy Son and my my Savior. Grant that whatever need, whatever sorrow, may beset my day, my faith in this forgiveness may remain firm. Let no grief or pain, no doubt or gloom, come between me and the certainty of Thy love. If it is thy purpose to try me this day with difficulties for the body or the heart, grant that I may by Thy Spirit conquer in this trial and hold fast to Thy mercy, knowing that the sufferings of this time are not worthy to be compared with the glory Thou hast in store for me. Make Thy Word my joy, Thy counsel my guide, Thy presence my peace. In Jesus' name AMEN."


And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

No comments:

Post a Comment