Friday, February 1, 2013

If I Knew You Were Comin' I'd've Baked a Cake


Approaching the affable TSA agent at the airport in the pre-dawn hours while most of the world was fast asleep I brightly said, "Thank you for being here so early in the morning." Her response was cute and profound.

"If I knew you were comin' I'd've baked a cake." I told her that I would give her a call next time, because I really like cake. With that, I gave her a "high five" with my large hand grasping her blue latex gloved hand.

Within minutes I was cleared through security and on my way... to a very long and exhausting day.

My iWitness...

My newfound TSA agent friend was unprepared for my arrival. She said it herself, "If I knew you were comin' I'd've baked a cake." Of course she was referring to Billboard's #1 Hit from the spring of 1950 of the same name, made popular by Eileen Barton. But still, I was thinking, "Where's my cake?"

Today is February 1st.
Welcome February! Good-bye January!

I have had several conversations lately where the overwhelming sentiment has been, "I will be so glad when January is over. February can not come fast enough."

I have shared the same sentiments on several occasions myself. Maybe you have as well.

But...

What if Jesus knew January was coming and He baked a cake just for us for the month of January? Oh sure, maybe we didn't like the flavor. "I prefer carrot cake over lemon pound cake."
Oh sure, maybe we didn''t like the frosting. "I prefer cream cheese frosting over sassy strawberry."

But, what if the cake was prepared ahead of time and the month of January was just what Jesus had baked for us because, "He knew we were coming"?

Today is February 1st.
Jesus knew this day was coming and He has baked a cake just for you. Whatever happens this month will be no surprise for Him. Nothing that we go through this month will catch Him off guard. What surprises us or throws us for a loop has already been written down on the calendar for Him.

Jesus alludes to this in John 14 when he says, "Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?" (John 14. 1-2)

Today is February 1st.
Jesus comes prepared.
The Cake has been baked.
He knows we're coming.
Let's dig in and see what wonders to our spiritual senses await us as we "taste and see that the Lord is good." (Psalm 34. 8)

I look forward to sharing my cake with you. If you don't mind I would love to have a slice of your cake to share as well...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

ps - I love Carrot Cake (just in case you know I am coming your way and want to be prepared!)

1 comment: