Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Memory

I hadn't talked to Bettie in a while and thought that I would give her a call and check in.

I called her up and she cheerfully answered the phone (as she always does) with a bright, "Hello!"

My response was simple, "It is I."

She laughed and hooted and quickly said, "Oh David, tell me you love me and miss me!"

"Bettie.... I love you and I miss you!"

"Oh David, tell me one more time!" And I did.

My iWitness...

Bettie was the first administrative assistant I had when I moved to Houston, Texas to start a new church. When we first met she was 69 years old. Today she is 87. She stands 58 inches tall. One of our long standing memories was for me to scare the daylights out of her on a daily basis. One day I came into the office and I sat down at my desk. She was under my desk and reached out and grabbed my leg and I jumped out of my seat screaming and yelling like a little baby. We laugh to this day over that memory.

A week or two after working together I called her on the phone and she said, "Hello?' and I responded with "It's me." She said, "It most certainly is not! You never respond with 'It's me'. You are not the direct object. You are the subject. You must repond with 'It is I.' Do you understand me?"

All I could say was, "Yes ma'am!" And for the last 18 years that has been our routine. She knows it's me because I am sure I am the only one who ever says right off the bat on the phone, "It is I."

One of my favorite things Bettie ever said to me was, "David, I am old enough to be your grandmother. If I was twenty years younger I would be old enough to be your mother. If I was twenty years younger than that, then I would run away with you." Our friendship has provided plenty of laughter!

In our conversation the other day I asked Bettie, "Do you remember when you and Julie and I went out to dinner and I was pulled over by a police officer?" (It's one of my favorite stories to tell)
My heart sank a little by her response... "No David, tell me about it."

"All three of us were going out for my birthday dinner and we got to an intersection and Julie said turn right and you said, "No, go straight." I went straight and in the process ran a red light. Within seconds blue lights were flashing and I was pulled over by a police officer. I had tinted windows in my Maxima and I rolled down the window and the office asked if I knew what I did. I said, "Yes sir I do. I know I ran that red light, but I am going out for my birthday and I really don't know where I am going and my wife told me one thing and my girlfriend in the back seat told me another thing and in all the confusion I ran the red light." The officer looked at me in disbelief and barked out, "Your girlfriend? Let me see!" I rolled down the back passenger window and Bettie, in her late 70's stuck her head out and said, "Hello officer!" He started laughing so hard and said something about, "You have enough trouble on your hand! Get out of here..." And off we went.

Bettie said in disbelief on the phone, "David, you are making that up! Did that really happen?"
"Yes Bettie, that really happened!" Her response was so honest and vulnerable, "David, I just don't remember that at all." I knew she didn't. I have told her that story about five times in the last few years and the response is always the same. "Did that really happen?"

And then I offered this to Bettie... "Bettie, I am afraid I am going to call you one day and I am going to say, "It is I" and you are going to say, "Who is this?" There was silence on the other end of the line. I continued, "Bettie, let me just say this. There may come a day when you don't remember me, but please know this... Bettie, I will never forget you."

Bettie's response was quick, "David, I will never forget you." I knew better. I hope she doesn't and I hope I never forget her either.

There was a period in my life when my life went down the drain in a hurry. There were many people who stood by me during that most difficult time. My wife Julie being the primary supporter. But every step of the way there was Bettie as well. All 4 feet 10 inches of her standing proudly by my side when many others drifted away.

On the phone I said, "Bettie, you were always there. Thank you for standing with me through some of the most difficult days." Her response made me chuckle... "David, it was easy."

Maybe there is someone who has stood by your side through thick and thin.
Maybe there is someone you need to call today and simply say, "Thank you..."

The convesation with Bettie was coming to a close. I told her one more time what she wanted to hear most... "Bettie, I love you and I miss you!" And I do...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and fear not!
David!
ps - Isn't it great to know that we have a God who always remembers our name! He never forgets who we are and how precious we are to Him.

God "will not leave you or forsake you." (Deuteronomy 31. 6)

No comments:

Post a Comment