Saturday, February 2, 2013

Groundhog Day

Today is Groundhog Day!

If it is cloudy when groundhog "Punxsutawney Phil"emerges from his burrow on this day, he will not see his shadow and therefore spring will come early.

If it is sunny, "Punxsutawney Phil" will supposedly see his shadow and retreat back into his burrow, and the winter weather will continue for six more weeks.

When the Pennsylvania groundhog emerged from his dwelling this morning at Gobbler's Knob , he did not see his shadow.

"And so ye faithful, there is no shadow to see, an early Spring for you and me," proclaimed Bob Roberts, one of Phil's handlers.


My iWitness...

I don't know about you but I am so excited!!! Spring is on its way. That three or four inches of snow I shoveled this morning off the driveway will not be around for long.

I think I will take the family out to the nursery and buy some flowers, tulip bulbs and a whole array of other garden type varieties to plant in the next day or two in our Iowa frozen tundra.

Call me crazy but I am putting away the winter clothes and pulling out the Tommy Bahama shirts and flip flops! Spring is on its way!!!

Now of course we know that I am being cynical, sardonic, silly and sarcastic.

But in reality how many "superstitions", traditions and other silly things do we put our hope and trust in in order to predict a favorable outcome for our lives?

If I go to church every Sunday, read my Bible every day, pray four times a day (one for every meal), attend a Bible study, keep my nose clean, give to the poor, don't walk under ladders, watch out for black cats, don't get involved in other people's business, wear my lucky tie for the job interview, put on my clothes in the exact same manner every day and kiss the cross around my neck.... then and only then will life turn out just perfect with no illnesses, no problems and no worries.

Just tell that to my countless number of friends who have lost dedicated God loving, Jesus following sons and daughters, wives and husbands, moms and dads and close friends to cancer, suicide, alcoholism, car accidents, plane crashes, illnesses and a host of other maladies that no one predicted.

Have you seen the Budweiser commercial which shows all kinds of sports fans doing all sorts of superstitious things in order to secure their team a victory?
The theme of the commercial is “It’s only weird if it doesn’t work.”

Some will call me weird (most of you have at some point or another in my lifetime!), but here's what I have found to be true, through and through.

Jesus is my only hope.
Jesus is the only one I can trust in 100%.
Jesus is the only one I can believe in fully.
Jesus is the only one who has been with me 24/7/365.
Jesus is the only one who knows me completely and thoroughly and still loves me in spite of myself. Jesus is the only one who understands.
Jesus is the only one who has loved me enough to die for me that I might have life and life eternal.
Jesus is the only one who can wipe my slate clean and forgvie me fully and completely.
Jesus is my savior, shepherd,
    shelter, sustainer,
        redeemer, rescuer,
             friend, forgiver,
                 companion, compass,
                        merciful Master,
                            unconditional love and grace,
                                 the way, the truth and the life.
                                      And much more...

Does that sound "weird"?

Maybe it does, but let me say this... "It works!"

"To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory." (Colossians 1. 27)

And that's my iWitness
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

No comments:

Post a Comment