Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Ear Muffs

With the wind whipping and the temperatures dropping, the wind chill factor sent the numbers into the below zero category.

Good thing I had my ear muffs on to protect my ears from getting frostbitten!

My iWitness...

I love ear muffs. They are cozy to wear and very stylish in the Midwest.

One thing I love about ear muffs is that it is hard to hear with them on. If someone is talking to me that I really don't want to talk to, I can just keep on walking as if the person doesn't exist. If they confront me on this, I can easily say, "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you."
I can simply live in my own little world of "me" (actually, it is a pretty big world!!) and not be bothered by other people.

Why ear muffs aren't selling like hotcakes is beyond me!

One thing I dislike about ear muffs is that it is hard to hear with them on. If someone is talking to me that I really do want to talk to and listen to, I can come off as aloof and distant.

Some serious dialogue is coming my way, conversations that I need to be in tune with and now I am the one walking down the road seemingly ignoring everyone, all because I really cannot hear very well with my ear muffs on.

How many positive, encouraging, powerful, uplifting words and tones have I missed due to the fact that I am wearing these "ear muffs."

What brand of ear muffs cover your ears? In an effort to "protect" our ears from "frostbite" we put on these ear muffs that have incredible name brands...

"Denial" is one of the world's best selling ear muffs company, with outlets in every state, county, city and street.

"Rejection" is one of the most prolific selling brands this side of "Fear". Both brands keep the ears warm and are serious contenders in the "noise cancellation" business. You don't hear anything you don't want to hear with these two great brands of ear muffs.

"HD" is the most popular brand with ear muffs in all sizes. "HD" stands for "Haughty inDifference." This model comes with bluetooth control and is part of the 3G network so that you can tune out anywhere any time. You won't hear a thing!

What are we afraid of? Why do we put on "ear muffs" that do just that... muffle the sound of God's tender voice in such a way that all sense of clarity, direction and diction is lost in a mumbled mess of white noise?

What would happen if we would just stop, remove the ear muffs and listen...
I mean really listen....

"He who has ears to hear, let him hear." (John 11. 15)

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

1 comment:

  1. I took my "ear muffs" off this morning (before I read this). This is what I heard after I did.

    “Do not be afraid; you will not be put to shame.
    Do not fear disgrace; you will not be humiliated.
    You will forget the shame of your youth
    and remember no more the reproach of your widowhood.
    For your Maker is your husband—
    the Lord Almighty is his name—
    the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer;
    he is called the God of all the earth.
    The Lord will call you back
    as if you were a wife deserted and distressed in spirit—
    a wife who married young,
    only to be rejected,” says your God.
    “For a brief moment I abandoned you,
    but with deep compassion I will bring you back.
    In a surge of anger
    I hid my face from you for a moment,
    but with everlasting kindness
    I will have compassion on you,”
    says the Lord your Redeemer.
    “To me this is like the days of Noah,
    when I swore that the waters of Noah would never again cover the earth.
    So now I have sworn not to be angry with you,
    never to rebuke you again.
    Though the mountains be shaken
    and the hills be removed,
    yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken
    nor my covenant of peace be removed,”
    says the Lord, who has compassion on you. Isaiah 54:4-10

    ReplyDelete