Saturday, July 6, 2013

Biggest Splash

On Thursday afternoon, July 4th our family was at the pool we usually attend. Starting at 3:30 they had all sorts of games and relay races for the kids.
Topping it all off was the Biggest Splash contest for the kids. It was so fun to see kids of all sizes and ages running the length of the diving board and then balling up into a cannon ball or a "can opener" and trying to make the biggest splash.
After many rounds, one girl was declared the winner.
It was 5:00 pm and time to go home to get ready to go to a 4th of July party.

A lifeguard came over to me and announced, "Biggest Splash contest for adults is next. Are you in?"
Sure... why not?
I'll do one major "can opener" and then I will go home and get ready for the party.
After one round of competition - I was still in...
After two rounds of competition - I was still in...
Eventually it came down to me and Mike, who unbeknownst to me was the three year reigning champion.

With all the children lining the pool and the parents rooting for these two older men who were doing their best impersonations of 12 year olds...
We both went off the side by side diving boards simultaneously and gave it our best splash...

My iWitness...

It seems odd to me that in the Christian world there is great pressure to make a "Big Splash."

Especially on the far right of the Christian Evangelical wing...
As a pastor, people only want to know one thing... "How many people attend your church on Sunday morning?" (Did you notice the understated "YOUR church"?)

If you have a lot of people attending your church then obviously you are making a Big Splash for God! Way to go David!!
If you don't have a lot of people in worship then maybe, just maybe you are not doing something right.

Go a little further to the right and people want to know how many people you've saved. I have never "saved" anyone... Only Jesus saves!

Go to the left of the spectrum on the Christian Liberal wing and people want to know how many shelters you are serving. How many homeless people do you house? How many clinics have you opened? How are you serving the disenfranchised of our society?

The more service I have offered out on the "streets" the Bigger the Splash!!

Do you feel the need to make a "Big Splash" in the pool of Christianity?
Do you feel the need not to make a splash at all?
Are "little" splashes okay in the church?
Will God love me if I just barely make a ripple?

The reality is that we have made waves, and splashes that douse and drench people in ways that we will never know this side of heaven.

I recently received a Facebook message from a friend that made a huge splash in my life. She has no idea how much her faithfulness has soaked me with God's love and care.

To all the "BS"ers (Biggest Splashers) out there I raise my small cup of cold water to you!
Listen to these beautiful and encouraging words from Jesus....
"And whoever gives one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.” (Matthew 10. 42)

Keep splashing!

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

ps - I am the new Biggest Splash Champion...

No comments:

Post a Comment