Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Relentless Tides and Waves of God's Grace

I'm at the beach!
I love the jagged mountains...
I relish the barren beautiful desert...
I welcome the dense solitary quiet forests...
I am mesmerized at the movement of the rivers...
I'm at home on the beach...

Yesterday, I do what I always do when I get to the beach,
I walk on it.

Minute after minute I stroll on the beach, the temporary sandcastles standing so tall and proud, the surf tickling my ankles, the salt air filling my nose, the sand gently pushing its way through my ten toes, the wind dancing through my hair, the sunset painting a once in a lifetime picture and the low voice of the ocean roaring in my soul.

I'm at home on the beach...

My iWitness...

The tide and the waves at the beach are relentless.
Like Siamese Twins they are inseparable.
Broken shells litter the beach after being pulverized by the never ending soft pounding of the waves day after day, month after month, year after year...

So it is with The Relentless Tides of God's Grace.

We find our hard shells shattered on the seashore...
We discover our sandcastles of fame, fortune and power are quickly washed away...
We realize that the holes that we have dug for ourselves are filled with the water and sand of God's mercy...

And when we wonder if the tides of God's grace has abandoned us, all of a sudden here it comes wave after wave after wave.

God's grace knows nothing of stopping.
We cannot escape it.
Stand tall if you must.
Stand your ground.
Stake your stance on the sand if you dare.
But whatever you do...
Don't think for a minute that the relentless tides and waves of God's grace is going to somehow stop gently and relentlessly pounding away at the rough edges of your soul.

Have you ever noticed how hard it is to find a jagged rock on the beach?
Oh sure, some of the rock formations on a rocky coastline are jagged.
But, look for a jagged rock that has been washed up on the shore after years and years of being tossed and turned over and over by the waves...

So may it be for us today...
May the relentless tides and waves of God's grace turn us over and over again until we are as smooth as silk.
May the relentless tides and waves of God's grace gently and consistently welcome us each morning when we wake and each evening as we sleep.
May the relentless tides and waves of God's grace roar the sound of "I love you... I am here for you... I will never leave you nor forsake you... I forgive you... I accept you..." deep into our very souls.
May the relentless tides and waves of God's grace bring you into His arms in such a way that you and I proclaim at the top of our lungs,
"I'm at home on the beach!"

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and fear not!
David!

"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; 
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness." (Lamentations 3. 22)

No comments:

Post a Comment