Friday, July 12, 2013

When my Mom met my Birth Mom...


Fifty years, four months and seven days ago I was born into this world and two lovely ladies became inextricably linked to my life...

One gave me breath...
The other gave me life...
One gave me up...
The other grabbed ahold of me for dear life...
One thought about me every day...
The other lived with me every day...(at least for the first 18 years)
One held me deep in her heart...
The other held me deep in her arms...
One is named Betty Jean...
The other is named Judy...
One was born in 1940
The other was born in 1940...
One would have the distinction of being my "birth mom."
The other would have the distinction of being my "mom."
One loved me in silence...
The other loved me openly...
One wondered what I looked like...
The other had my looks forever etched in her mind...
One missed out on a lot of years...
The other just missed me when I left home...
One prayed that I would be raised in a Christian home..
The other provided that on a daily basis..
One prayed that I would receive a good education...
The other made sure that I would go to college...
One loves me with all her heart, mind and strength...
The other loves me with all her heart, mind and strength...
One I have known for seven years and one month...
The other I have known all my life...

Yesterday, at 2:40 pm (Eastern time), in the town of Gloucester, Virginia
these two ladies met for the very first time!

Mom meet Birth Mom...
Judy meet Betty Jean...
Betty Jean meet Judy...

After narrowly missing each other by a day fifty years ago the two embraced, laughed, cried, shared stories and discovered that they have more in common than just me.

My iWitness...

A while back I mentioned in this blog that I hoped that one day my Mom and my Birth Mom would one day meet each other.
Yesterday that hope became a reality.

I wasn't there to witness the event...
Didn't have to be...

From here on out life will hold a whole new perspective which I am excited to experience.

God's timing and knowledge is so strange to me.
I wondered if Betty Jean and Judy would ever meet and God all along knew that they would.

What other things do I wonder about that God knows the answer to all along?
I guess the answer is everything!

I find that quite comforting today.
I hope you do too...

O Lord... You did a marvelous work back in 1940.
Two baby girls were brought into this world
Who would both grow up to be Moms
forever linked by a baby boy
And that baby boy is me!
Thank you, Lord...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55. 8-9)



Betty Jean (L) and Judy (R)

No comments:

Post a Comment