Monday, July 8, 2013

First Day of Camp!

The whole family went over to Camp Albrecht Acres to help check in the campers arriving today for their weeklong adventure.
Faith and Joshua and I were helping the campers with their luggage, making sure it got to the right cabin. Julie was in charge of the Bank - keeping track of the camper's money for the week ahead. Most campers deposited five to ten dollars in the "Bank."

I loved observing the campers coming into the registration building.
Some were nervous.
Others excited.
Some recognizing other campers from years past with shouts of "hello" and big hugs.
Others arrived with pensive outlooks as this was their first time.
Most of the campers were accompanied by their parents.
Sometimes I couldn't tell who was more nervous... the parents or the children.
I met Emily's dad... shook his hand and said, "We'll take good care of your girl this week." He nodded his head in the most subtle of ways with his cowboy hat barely making a move.

Ricky came up to me and said, "Hi... I'm Wicky." He shook my hand then extended his arms way up in the air for a "Welcome to Camp" hug.
Gwen arrived and she was rather stunning. Long legs, big smile and her arms were ripped (as in great muscle tone).
Chris arrived with his Chicago White Sox hat on and he kept going on and on about the White Sox.
Richard was so sweet. He drew me two pictures while I was helping.
Sarah had the deepest onyx colored eyes that were simply captivating.

Oops... Forgive me... I left out one important detail of Camp Albrecht Acres.
This Camp is for Adults who have special needs.
The campers ranged from 18-60 years in age.

Emily has Downs Syndrome and her parents are the sweetest couple you would ever meet.
Ricky has Downs Syndrome and has a great sense of humor and gives great hugs!
Gwen is wheelchair bound and her long legs are so twisted and contorted, I am not sure that they will ever stop from being crisscrossed. Her arms are "ripped" because she flexes her arms with great intensity about every 20 seconds. Her big smile was only interrupted by her second and third finger of her left hand that was constantly being sucked on.
Chris kept asking me my name and latched onto the fact that I even knew who the Chicago White Sox were.
Richard, in his 50's was the "silent" artist. He would come up to me and hand me a picture he had just drawn with crayons and then shuffle back to his table. Before long... there he was again...with another work of art.
And then there was Sarah...(tears cascade down my face as I think about Sarah)
Sarah is in a wheelchair. Her feet are in a locked position. Her hands are palms down on the armrests. Neither her feet nor her hands moved the whole time I saw her.
Her head ticks to the left and then tocks back to the center in perfect rhythm like a metronome.
She was sitting in her room with her counselor by her side when I brought in her luggage.
I politely asked, "Are you Sarah?"
The counselor said, "Yes..."
I looked straight into Sarah's beautiful onyx colored eyes and gently said, "Sarah. I hope you are going to have a great week at camp."
Her head tilted back to the left and then back to center and then back to the left and then back to center....
I gazed at Sarah...
I don't think Sarah saw me... but then again maybe she did... I don't know... I never will...She was captivating nonetheless...One thing I do know... I saw Sarah and maybe that's all that matters...

My iWitness...

I am not sure what to say about my experience on that warm Sunday afternoon at Camp Albrecht Acres.

I am sure of one thing though...

Yesterday I was on Holy Ground.
There was something about knowing the Campers by name that transcended their special needs.
Thank you Lord for giving me the privilege of serving
Rachel, Tiffany, Kevin, Gwen, Ricky, Tom, Richard, Chris, Mitt, Emily, Nikitta, Chase and of course... Sarah.

There were many more...whose names I cannot remember.
And here's the good news... God knows their names!

And He knows ours too...and maybe that's all that matters...

“Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
    I have called you by name, you are mine." (Isaiah 43. 1)

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!


ps - And to the Counselors who have the privilege of serving these Campers all week long until another group shows up next Sunday... May God richly bless you and your life for your love and care for those that society so often forgets and pushes off to the side... Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you...



No comments:

Post a Comment