Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Listening...

I went to lunch with an 89 year old professor of Biblical Theology yesterday.
He ordered the Turkey Club sandwich.
I ordered the Wild Berry Chicken Salad.
Our order arrived with his Club sandwich cut into four wedges.
He started off our conversation saying that this month was very emotional for him.
Seventy five years ago, his grandfather was invited by President Franklin D. Roosevelt to attend a reunion of all the soldiers who had fought at the Battle of Gettysburg. In 1938 it was the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg.
On the way home from the reunion my 89 year old friend's grandfather died. At the tender age of 14 he was a pallbearer at the funeral.
After that story he began to tell me another fascinating story.
After one hour and fifteen minutes and eight stories later he looked down at my empty plate and then glanced at his own seeing that three wedges of his Club sandwich remained along with a plate full of French fries.
He laughed at himself... "I guess I have been doing all the talking."

My iWitness...

It was a pure delight for me to listen yesterday to these utterly fascinating stories!
No pressure to talk.
No expectation of me to eloquently voice an opinion or thought on any particular matter.
Just listening...

How does our conversation with God go most of the time?
My take is that usually at the end of my conversations with God I end up commenting...

"I guess I have been doing all the talking."

Today...
I am going to try to do more listening than talking.

How about you?

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"Incline your ear, and come to me;
    hear, that your soul may live..." (Isaiah 55. 3)






No comments:

Post a Comment