Thursday, June 20, 2013

Face to Face

I performed a very interesting, fun and yet profound experiment yesterday on the plane.
I boarded the plane and sat down in my usual "aisle" seat after placing my carry-on in the spacious overhead compartment.
Once situated I started my experiment. It went something like this...

I intently and purposefully looked at every face that walked by. I must have stared at and observed over 100 faces within a ten minute period.

Here's what I discovered - I didn't recognize one face.

I didn't recognize one single person that stepped onto the plane.
I did recognize parts of people's faces.

Oh... that man has Doug's eyes. That lady has Barb's eyes...
And that man's double chin reminds me of another friend. (who shall remain nameless!)
That woman has Shelly's nose...
And look at those cheeks... they are just like Kris'...
Those lips and that mouth look just like Judy's and Steve's...

And this went on and on and on. It is fascinating to me that of all the faces in the world with the simple components of eyes, noses, lips, mouth, cheeks, chins and foreheads there are no two people who have the same face.

It is the complex arrangement of those components that make each of us unique and each of us recognizable to those who know us and love us.

My iWitness...

Sometimes I wonder if I will recognize the face of Jesus. We have all sorts of paintings and depictions of Jesus. But, what does his face really look like? No one on the earth knows.

I guess the real question is not whether I will recognize the face of Jesus but rather
"Will Jesus recognize mine?"

Here's the good news...

The answer is, "YES!"
Don't forget... He is the one who created your face.
And when our eyes lock for the first time, the overwhelming connection will only be overcome by his amazing arms of grace being thrown around me with his booming voice of laughter shouting, "Welcome home David!"

Ah... to see Jesus "face to face"... what a day that will be!

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known." (1 Corinthians 13. 12)

No comments:

Post a Comment