Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Riding Waves!

At the Waterpark Capital of the World on Sunday, my seven year old son Joshua did an amazing thing. Fearlessly, he jumped on a boogie board and rode a man made wave that must have pounded out 10,000 gallons per second of rushing water. It was called the Flow Rider.

It reminded me of one of my favorite pastimes - Riding Waves!

Growing up in Southern California allowed me the privilege of jumping in the Pacific Ocean on a regular basis.
One of my most memorable experiences was standing out in the ocean with the water about waist high, with my back toward the sand. My eyes would scan the horizon searching to and fro for an incoming wave. The ocean rarely disappointed me. The incoming water before me would start to rise and the receding water right behind me would start to sink. When I felt the water travel from my waist down to my knees, I knew in an instant that a big wave was about to break. With one fluid motion I would twist and turn and lunge toward to the beach and start swimming as fast as I could in order to "catch the wave."

One of the greatest feelings in the world is experiencing the rush and roar of a crashing wave all around you as you are propelled down the glassy face of the wave toward the beach at speeds exceeding 100 mile per hour (at least it felt that way!).

Regrettably, it's been years since I last found myself "Riding Waves."


My iWitness...

Here's a little bit of an obvious truth concerning "Riding Waves."

I cannot ride waves that don't exist. And neither can you...
I can stand in the water all day long, but if there are no waves then I cannot "ride the waves."

I cannot make the waves. I cannot create the waves.
I can only ride the waves that God makes.

So it is with God's blessings and plans for my life.
I can only ride the waves of blessings that God creates and generates.

Have you ever tried to create and generate your own wave?
Me too...

I didn't get very far. I did a lot of paddling, splashing and swimming but didn't get very far. In fact, I found myself just getting exhausted and worn out. As a pastor I found immense pressure being placed on me by others and by my self to create waves and waves of God's blessings. Giving in to that type of pressure can prove disastrous.

What would happen if we would pray that God would allow us to be a part of what He is blessing versus blessing that which we are doing in hopes that He will be a part of it?

When was the last time you "rode a wave" of God's blessings?
See you out in the water as we wait and wait to hear God's voice proclaiming, "Surf's Up!!"

Catch His wave and have the ride of your life!

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him."
(Colossians 1. 16)

No comments:

Post a Comment