Friday, June 21, 2013

Wing Nut...

The restaurant didn't open until 11:00 am and I was there at 10:55 and the doors were locked.
I waited outside basking in the sunshine allowing the rays to warm my body.
In my peripheral vision I saw a homeless man with a large duffel bag strapped to his back start moving my way.
I knew he would stop and ask for a handout and my prediction did not go unfulfilled.

He made some joke toward me and started cackling and I started laughing because it seemed the appropriate thing to do.

He almost walked by me but my curiosity wouldn't allow it. I said, "Hey! What are you doing?"

He drew closer so that we were standing within a foot or two from each other. Over the years I have run into a number of people who are homeless and they carry with them a certain aroma. It is distinct, unique and unforgettable.

He said, "I am heading to Winnemucca. My mom is on her deathbed and I need to go and see her." (Winnemucca is only about 300 miles away!!) He continued, "Do you have any money that might help me out?"

Without hesitating I grabbed for my wallet and asked, "How much do you need?" He kind of just shrugged. "How about a twenty?" His eyes sparkled. They twinkled. They danced. And then they became as genuine and sincere as they could be as he shook my hand and said, "Thank you...Thank you so much."

I inquired, "What is your name?"
He replied, "My name is Mickey but everyone calls me Wing Nut!"
"Wing Nut?", I asked with a huge smile on my face.

"Yes, that's the name I got on the streets."

Wing Nut lives on the streets. He has for the last 20 years. I asked him how he survives and he said by generous people like me. He makes a phone call every so often to touch base with family. Wing Nut is 43 years old and he looks more like 73.

Whiskers cover his entire face and ears. He stands about 5 feet 7 inches tall. His hair is sun bleached and wiry. His smile is wide, with a number of missing teeth along with the chewing tobacco stuck between his bottom lip and teeth. His left foot is numb and he has a number of plates and screws to hold his body together.

I said to Wing Nut, "I am a praying man and I am going to be praying for your safety and that you get to see your mom." (He hadn't seen her in 10 years)

He looked at me as a brother looks at his own brother and said, "Well, I have my bible in my bag. I love the Psalms. I have learned so much from the Psalms."

We chatted another minute or two and it was time for him to go meet some folks who were going to offer him a job. He wasn't sure he was going to take it or not.

We hugged each other tightly and then he started to walk away and then he stopped.
He made a quarter turn, looked at me, smiled widely and said, "David... We will see each other again." And off he went...

We sure will Wing Nut... We sure will...

My iWitness...

Jesus offers these words, "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me." (Matthew 25. 40)

Of the two people in the encounter above, who would you say was more blessed?
Wing Nut or David Dendy?

The answer seems obvious to me...

Thank you Wing Nut for doing unto one of the least of these your brothers!! I was blessed by you reaching out to me!! And I know Jesus is smiling for you ministering to me in his name.

May I do the same to others...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

No comments:

Post a Comment