Sunday, June 2, 2013

On this day... June 2nd

On this day... June 2nd...

On this day 73 years ago Betty Padgett was born.
Without Betty there is no me...

On this day some "39" years ago my friend Amy Martin LeCato was born.
Without Amy my brother Doug is a lonely single dude.

On this day 26 years ago my colleague Nicole Kimm was born.
Without Nicole I would wander through my job more lost than I already am.

On this day 12 years ago my good friends Brian and Joan Ahier were married.
Without Brian and Joan there would be no Faith Louise Dendy in my life.

On this day 12 years ago at approximately 4:30 pm (Eastern Time), in the mountains of northeast Georgia in a town called Young Harris, in a Methodist church whose pastor was my cousin, Patty Ryle Clay, with about 100 friends and family gathered together... 
Julie Keller and David Dendy were pronounced and announced to be husband and wife.
Without Julie... I am not sure where or who I would be.
Without Julie there would be no Joshua Knox Dendy.
Without Julie...

Happy 12th Anniversary Julie!!
I love you!!!

My iWitness...

Where were you on this day, June 2nd?
Ten years ago? Twenty? Thirty?

Where are you today on this day, June 2, 2013?
In the last twelve years...
I have been married to a an incredible woman that I never thought I would be in a relationship with...
I have lived in a state I never thought I would live in... Oregon
I have had two children that I never thought I would have... Faith and Joshua
I had a career that I never thought I would have... Consulting churches
I went back to a career that I thought was out of reach and out of touch - Pastoring the greatest church in the world - First Presbyterian Church, Klamath Falls, Oregon.
I ran a distance that I never ever thought I could possibly run - 26.2 miles in the Napa Valley Marathon
I climbed a mountain higher than I ever thought possible - 14,162 feet - Mt. Shasta (Thank you Father Mac!)
I learned to play the piano all over again under the patient and ever graceful leadership of Susan Scrimsher.
I had the incredible joy of learning how to worship under the artful and humble leadership and direction of my dear friend Steve Hamlin.
I even learned how to "preg-check" a cow by inserting the full length of my arm in the rectum of a cow!!
I learned how to play competitive tennis under the guidance of the best tennis teacher in the state of Texas - Cary Lothringer
I traveled to a continent on my first international travel - The Australian Open Tennis Tournament (Thank you to Howard Newman!!)
I discovered my birth family which opened a whole new world of reality to my life - Thank you to brother Doug for searching for me, finding me and having the courage to call me at home on June 11, 2006 and tell me that we had something very special in common. I will never be able to thank Doug enough!! (Thank you to Ellen, Laura, Doug and Betty Jean!)
I learned how to grieve the loss of my dad - Marshall C. Dendy, Jr. who died on April 25, 2010
I have gained a number of friends that I didn't even knew existed 12 years ago and now they are such a central embodiment of God's love and grace in my life each and every day!
I learned to appreciate that my family - Mom and Mary Jo are incredible people who have soldiered through so much!
I learned how to say good-bye to the greatest church in the world to embrace a new career as the Vice President for Philanthropy at the University of Dubuque.
I now live in a region I have never lived in before - The Midwest.
I now live in a state that only has four letters - Iowa.
I now live in the oldest city in this great state of Iowa.. Dubuque.

A lot has happened in the last 12 years. I am sure more will happen in the next twelve..

Where were you on this day years ago?

Where are you today?

Where will the Lord take you from here on out?

On this day...
Without you O Lord... none of this would be possible...

Oh Lord, you are amazing beyond comprehension. Your plans and your ways are beyond belief and comprehension. Help me to trust in you in all the uncertain days ahead... I love you...

Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
    for his steadfast love endures forever! (Psalm 107. 1)


And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!







No comments:

Post a Comment