Sunday, June 23, 2013

Unfinished business...

Yesterday, our assignment was to finish the sentence, "If the Lord calls me home tomorrow..."

The thought of that reality has spurred me on to think and feel a host of emotions and thoughts.

Here they are...

My iWitness...

My thoughts come within the context of Jesus' proclamation on Good Friday while suspended on a cross by three nails.

Jesus declared, "It is finished" and then he bowed his head and died...
How many people can say that? He was finished. His mission was complete.

I ran into my good friend Pam yesterday afternoon. She had read yesterday's post and said, "I will be happy to go home to be with the Lord. I have no unfinished business..."

We had a great conversation about this as my thoughts and feelings were just the opposite.

Don't get me wrong. I am happy to go home to be with the Lord!

But...

There just seems to be so much "Unfinished business" for me.

I have two daughters who haven't spoken to me since 1998.
I have two grandchildren that I have never met.
There is a church in Klamath Falls, Oregon where I was the pastor for 7.5 years and they are currently without a pastor and I would love to see who the new pastor is going to be and see that new pastor take the church I love so much to new heights.
I am in a new career field at the University of Dubuque and there are goals and accomplishments which I haven't achieved yet.
I wrestle daily with what is God's will for me in my new role in Dubuque, Iowa. I don't have a complete picture of that.
There are people I have hurt and disappointed over the years that I pray for reconciliation.
There are still many tennis tournaments that I need to win!! (LOL)

And then...
There's Julie, Faith and Joshua
Three people who love me in ways like no one else can and will.
Faith is so artistic, full of creativity that is expressed in paintings, drawings and singing. She has a motherly instinct in her where she senses how others are feeling and she immediately responds to care for them with such tenderness and care. Her big blue eyes are expressive beyond compare and I would love to journey a long time with where those eyes take her.
Joshua is scary smart and athletic and very sensitive. His curiosity in learning new things inspires me to stretch my own mind. He loves reading his "action Bible". I love cheering for him from the sidelines. He has the best laugh in the world and I would be honored to follow the echoes of his laughter for years to come.
Julie is an amazing woman of faith and of a great work ethic who keeps our home held together with good "calendaring", chores, events, car pooling, cooking, tenderness and love. Her radiant smile lights up every room she enters. I will follow her anywhere and there are so many places yet to go...

I could go on and on...

To fulfill my assignment, "If the Lord calls me home tomorrow... I have unfinished business..."

The question remains, "Does God have unfinished business with me?"

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you
will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." (Philippians 1. 6)

No comments:

Post a Comment