Saturday, June 29, 2013

The most profound question...

For the last 15 years Julie and I have kept a most wonderful and fun and blessed practice.
About once or twice a year we will offer a very large tip to a waiter or waitress of our choosing.
Last night was the night.
We went to the Main Street Chophouse in downtown Dubuque.

Our server for the evening introduced himself as Josh.
I said, "Hello Josh, my name is David and this is Julie."
He had dirty blonde hair cut short on the sides and messy on the top.
His eyes were so expressive in describing the specials of the night.
He used his hands in great animated ways in describing the entrees.
I noticed a very endearing habit of Josh's throughout the night. He would ask how everything was tasting and we would enthusiastically respond, "Great Josh! Everything is fantastic."
And then we would take his right hand and tap it on the table in three quick successions and then while moving on he would do the same to the side of the booth while saying, "Ok..."

I don't think we were 10 minutes into the dinner and Julie looked up at me and said, "Tonight is the night and Josh is the one."

I knew in an instant what she meant.
And so it was.
We enjoyed our dinner, laughed and cried in talking about my trip back to Klamath Falls and all the wonderful friends and memories we made there.
And then came the bill. I offered my credit card and Josh was quick in returning the bill for me to sign.

I looked him square in the eye and I said the following:

"Josh... Julie and I have been very blessed this year in our lives and we want to pass on some of that blessing to others. And tonight... you're the one! I would like to offer you a $100 tip."

Josh's eyes got real big and in a dumbfounded way said, "You don't have to do that."

I said, "I know I don't have to. But I want to. You're the one Josh!"

And then...
Josh leaned forward with those big expressive eyes with his hands outstretched in disbelief and asked the most profound question...

"Why am I the one?"

My iWitness...

This is the joy and delight that God has for us!

Out of His free will, out of His great love, God has chosen us to redeem, to save, to love and to bless.

And we ask with dumbfounded disbelief... "Why am I the one?"

It's not because we are handsome and pretty.
It's not because we are pathetic and needy.
It's not because we do great things.
It's not because we do terrible things.
It's not because we are just the nicest, most loving, caring people in the whole wide world.
It's not because we serve the needy, clothe the naked, house the homeless and feed the hungry.
This list could go on and on...

Like Josh, we ask in dumbfounded disbelief, "Why am I the one?"

Here's the answer and it is the only answer to the most profound question...

Because God chose you...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

 “For you are a people holy to the Lord your God. The Lord your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession, out of all the peoples who are on the face of the earth.. It was not because you were more in number than any other people that the Lord set his love on you and chose you, for you were the fewest of all peoples, but it is because the Lord loves you...
(Deuteronomy 7. 6-8)
 


"We love because he first loved us." (1 John 4. 19)


No comments:

Post a Comment