Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Invitation

It was five simple words...
Each word was pronounced with one syllable apiece.
The words came out so smooth it was as if they were a string of pearls strung together in one breath with an easy smile on the end of it.

There I was all by myself, minding my own business under a beautiful oak tree, checking my phone for messages, enjoying the mid 70's day, overlooking the tennis courts, watching an 18 year old and a 15 year old battle it out on the tennis court.

I became so immersed in my "smart phone" that I didn't notice that the match had come to a conclusion. And then I heard the good looking, college bound, 18 year old tennis star named Tom offer the invitation.

He placed his left hand on the chair beside me, began placing his Wilson Blade tennis racquet on the table and said with an easy, gracious smile...
"Mind if I join you?"

I was pleasantly surprised by the invitation. It caught me off guard. Part of me was saying, "Why would you and your buddies want to hang out with this 50 year old tennis pro wannabe?" Another part of me was honored to be invited to spend time with Tom, Jackson and Gavin - Two recent high school graduates and one rising high school sophomore.

My response was straight to the point, "Absolutely! Pull up a chair..."

And the conversation, the laughter, the learning, the counseling, the advice giving and more laughter ensued.

I was privileged to be offered the invitation.
I was even more honored to have accepted the invitation.

My iWitness...

I felt his hand on my shoulder this morning when I woke up.

I felt it again while I was making a protein shake this morning.

He tapped me again on the other shoulder about 30 minutes later.

I opened the front door to let the cool morning air into the house and there he was again at the front door with that easy, gracious smile.

After four times I finally heard him. It wasn't a command or a demand, it was simply an offer...

"Mind if I join you?"

Part of me said, "Why would the creator of all things known and unknown... Why would the King of Kings and Lord of Lords want to hang out with me, a sinner of grand proportions.?
Another part of me was like, "Wow... really? You want to hang out with me again?

My answer was straight to the point, "Absolutely, come on in..."

And the conversation, the laughter, the learning, the counseling, the advice giving and more laughter has ensued and it's only 10:00 am (Central Time).

I am blessed to receive The Invitation.

I am even more blessed and honored to accept it!

How about you?

The Invitation has been offered... it's only five simple words that will change your life...forever...

Will you accept?

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and fear not!
David!

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me." (Revelation 3. 20)

No comments:

Post a Comment