Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Signs

I took the "Red-Eye" flight from Seattle to Chicago last night arriving at 7:30 in the morning. The flight was two hours late leaving and then we circled the Chicago area for an additional hour due to extreme weather patterns.
I got off the plane in Terminal 1 and had to find my way to Terminal 3.
I have done it lots of times before.
There were signs pointing the way then all of a sudden the next set of signs did not point in any direction.
Within minutes I was completely lost in the Chicago O'Hare airport.

I am used to this.
I get lost all the time.
I have accepted this about myself that I have a terrible sense of direction.
I have become so accustomed to getting lost that I no longer become panicky.
I no longer break out into cold sweats.
I no longer experience a rise in my blood pressure.
I no longer get mad at myself. Rather I just start laughing... out loud. What else am I going to do?
I know that I will get there... eventually.
So... why stress?

I finally found a sign that said, "Terminal 3" (imagine an arrow pointing to the left)
I followed the sign but within 30 feet I was going to be heading out of "Security." I didn't want to have to go back through security all over again.
I walked as far as I could before exiting and stopped to ask the TSA agent if there was a way to get to Terminal 3 without exiting.
She looked up at me with reassuring brown eyes and said with a smile, "Yes... just go back down this hallway behind us and it will take you right to Terminal 3."
I slightly protested, "But the sign says that Terminal 3 is out this way (imagine me pointing in the opposite direction of where she told me to go.)
Here's where I laughed out loud...
She giggled in her response, "Yes... The signs are a bit confusing."

I made an about-face and marched down the hall in the opposite direction of the sign and within 10 seconds found another sign telling me that I was on the right track.

My iWitness...

How do we know we are going in the right direction?

What signs do we follow or adhere to during the day or during our lifetime that give us assurance that we are moving down the path God has desired for us?

To quote my new found TSA friend, are the signs a "bit confusing"?

Are there signs that are right for you but wrong for me?
Are there "absolute" signs that are right for everyone, all the time, under any circumstance?
Do we simply follow the signs that point in a direction that seems pleasing to our liking?
Or do we follow the signs that are counter intuitive and go against the grain of common sense and popular trending?

My experience has been that sometimes the signs are clear and sometimes the signs are painfully muddy and hard to distinguish.

Here's my take...
Don't get panicky...
Don't let the blood pressure rise...
Let's just..
keep calm
keep walking
keep asking for guidance
keep searching
keep trusting that God will correct us if we make a wrong turn and applaud us when we make the right one
keep listening
keep looking at the signs
keep looking for the signs
even though the signs might just be "a bit confusing."

If you see me wandering through life looking a little lost just smile and wave and I'll do the same...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"Your word is a lamp to my feet
     and a light to my path." (Psalm 119. 105)

No comments:

Post a Comment