Thursday, April 4, 2013

Friendship

They met 28 years ago in New Hampshire at a summer camp on Lake Winnipesaukee.
They were both Camp Counselors for the summer.
They are one week apart in age.
Mary taught Tennis all summer long and had a cabin of seven and eight year olds.
Julie taught Gymnastics all summer long and had a cabin of twelve year olds.
The whole camp had to wear blue and white clothes. Any combination of blue and white.
This was a sports emphasis camp.
Mary was from Michigan.
Julie was from Wisconsin.
The parents of the children at the camp would drop their kids off at the beginning of the summer and then come and visit them one time during the summer. (You read that right - One time during the whole summer the parents would come in for a one day visit.)
Mary is tall and blonde. Julie is short and brunette.
Julie was at Mary's wedding to David Thomas.
Mary was at Julie's wedding to David Dendy.
They formed a bond twenty-eight years ago that has lasted to this day and I am sure will last to the day that they are both at a retirement home.
Yesterday they were together for the first time in seven years.
The dynamic between them hasn't changed. They both laugh about old times. They both got their umbrella drinks. They both test their memories of events and people. Between them five children have come under their tutelage and protection. They both talk honestly and directly to one another.
Together they sat in the chaise lounge chairs. Everyone else went to the paddle boats. What a joy to watch them interact from the paddle boat. I couldn't hear a word they said, but to just observe them was a real treat.
They have both had their share of roller coaster rides through life in the last 28 years.
One thing remains true - they stick by each other, through thick and thin, through the ups and downs. Neither will abandon the other.
Julie and Mary love each other...
They are friends forever...

My iWitness...

True friendships that last a lifetime are hard to find. Hard to maintain. Hard to keep.
There's one friendship that is a guaranteed "forever friendship!"
It is the friendship between me and Jesus.
Life is indeed a roller coaster ride.
And yet, Jesus remains true through thick and thin, through the ups and downs. Although I will abandon Him at times, He will never abandon me.
I couldn't ask for anything more. I couldn't ask for anything less from the One who calls me Friend.
Thank you Jesus for being my "forever friend"!

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you." (John 15. 12-15)

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

No comments:

Post a Comment