Sunday, April 14, 2013

Pinewood Derby time...

After church on Wednesday night the kids came home very excited with a clear plastic bag. Inside it was four nails, four plastic wheels, stickers with numbers on them, a piece of paper with instructions on it and a rectangular block of wood. The accompanying little postcard was announcing that next week the kids would be involved in a Pinewood Derby experience at church with food, fun and fellowship. Faith and Joshua looked at me with such great expectations to help them form this block of wood into a "race car"!

I grew up with an incredible array of tools in the garage at the ready for crafting incredible projects. I had a hammer, pliers, a saw and a screw driver. What else would one need? Needless to say, I am "all thumbs" when it comes to wood working or any other kind of "handy man" project. I am thrilled when I can change out the air filters in the house and hang some pictures!! I was feeling pretty pathetic as a father knowing that I was useless in helping them with this project.

Fortunately for Faith and Joshua at the bottom of the postcard in 10 point font, there was an offer to come on over to the Johnson's home on Saturday morning for "Mechanic's Day" and Mr. Johnson would help you make your Pinewood Derby car.

I immediately put that on the calendar and circled it in red!! Only a funeral would keep me away from this appointment and the funeral would have to be an immediate family member... that lived in my house.

Yesterday we made our way over to the Johnson's home. Handwritten instructions welcomed us in the driveway telling us to follow the orange cones through the garage and down the steps in the "Mechanics' Shop." We came down the steps, turned the corner and what to my wondering eyes should appear.... "Handyman's Heavenly Haven!" My jaw dropped, my feet did a little happy dance, my eyes darted to and fro and up and down and my heart started beating faster and faster as my palms got sweaty. Of course no one noticed because my exterior body language was one of "Oh, nice little shop you have here..."

Here was this two car garage that had been transformed into a "Mini Home Depot!"
Every tool you can imagine Mr. Johnson had not just one but several of each kind. From corner to corner this place had it all... Table saw, Drill press, Miter saw, Jig saw, Scroll Saw, Planer, Sanding machine, Belt sander, Drills, air compressor and more stuff that I didn't know the names of...

I couldn't even speak. Next thing I know the block of wood is out of Faith's bag and Julie is talking to Mr. Johnson and they have penciled out a design on the wood and before you know it the table saw is whirring and sawdust is flying and the smell of fresh cut wood with a high speed saw filled the air and I just stood there making sure my kids didn't lose a finger in the process.

An hour later... Done! How Mr. Johnson took these two pieces of blocks of wood and transformed them into race cars is beyond my level of competency. Mr. Johnson didn't just work on my kid's cars, other kids were in the workshop as well with their parents. It was quite the scene. Once we returned to the car I made the kids show me all ten fingers and all ten toes just to make sure we were still intact!

Faith and Joshua are thrilled with their cars and can't wait for Wednesday's Pinewood Derby race!

My iWitness...

If my memory serves me correctly I believe in the comic strip Peanuts, Lucy used to call Charlie Brown a "block head."

Well, just call me a "block heart."

In the heavenly workshop I am amazed on a daily basis with the precision and craftsmanship that God employs to shape my heart from being a block of wood and molding and chiseling and sawing and drilling and sanding it into something that is usable, serviceable, available and lovable.

What tools does God use to refine us, shape us, mold us and transform us into the unique children of God that we are and will continue to become?

I guess the answer is, whatever tool necessary to make us into that which God desires. He loves us that much, not to remain a block of wood, but rather a work of art!

You are a Masterpiece!

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"But now, O Lord, you are our Father;
     we are the clay, and you are our potter;
     we are all the work of your hand." (Isaiah 64. 8)


"For he is like a refiner's fire and like fullers' soap. He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver, and he will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, and they will bring offerings in righteousness to the Lord." (Malachi 3. 2-3)

No comments:

Post a Comment