Friday, April 26, 2013

Open Doors

A little after 5:00 pm I walked up to the front doors of the elementary school where my children go to school. They were in "aftercare" - a YMCA sponsored after school program that is offered for parents who are not able to pick up their children right when school lets out.

As I approached I noticed a couple looking through the front doors with cupped hands around their faces. They proceeded to push the intercom button. Quickly the lady pulled out her cell phone and started to dial the school's phone number. The husband kept rhythmically "bobbing" back and forth from looking through the glass and looking at his wife.

My stomach went into a bit of a panic as I thought perhaps I had shown up too late and "aftercare" was over and my kids had been shipped to DHS. I got to the front doors, looked at the couple and then proceeded to say, "Are the doors locked?" At that moment I placed my hand on the door handle and pulled...

Voila!! The door opened!
The man looked at me as if I had some sort of super power and the lady quickly put away her "flip" phone. His comment was an instant classic - "I thought the doors were locked. I never actually tried to open it."

I smiled and said, "Come on in."

My iWitness...

How many times have I heard someone say something to this effect, "Well... when God closes one door, He opens another."

After yesterday I am starting to rethink that old adage.

What if there were lots of doors that God provided for me and I never went through those doors for the simple reason, "I thought the doors were locked. I never actually tried to open it!!!"

Perhaps today we might want to try and open some doors that God has placed in front of us and actually "go through" those doors and start a new God endorsed adventure!

Or perhaps we can stand outside and huddle together, with our cell phones out, looking through the glass, impatiently waiting and wondering, "How much longer until God opens the door for us?"

And that's my Iwitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

Jesus said, "I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture." (John 10. 9)

No comments:

Post a Comment