Tuesday, March 5, 2013

50 Years in the making...

March 5, 1963 - March 5, 2013

Today is my 50th Birthday!!! That dash in the middle of those two above dates represents fifty fabulous years filled with more blessings than I can count.

I wish I had the time and the ability to thank each person individually that has influenced my life to allow me to be where I am today. I started out in Ft. Pierce, Florida and today I am in Dubuque, Iowa. It's been quite the ride from Florida to Richmond, Virginia to Chamblee, Georgia to Mountain Lakes, New Jersey to Orange, California to Davidson, North Carolina back to Richmond, Virginia to Augusta, Georgia to Houston, Texas to Grants Pass, Oregon to Klamath Falls, Oregon to Dubuque, Iowa.

What a trek...
What a journey...
What a first half of life...

My iWitness...

There is a trinity of women in my life that I would like to give special thanks to on this day of celebrating 50 years of life...

Betty Jean - Gave me breath...

On March 5, 1963 Betty Jean delivered me in the St. Lucie County Hospital. Her prayer was simple. "May this little boy grow up to have a good education and grow up in a Christian home." She never saw me on that first day. She never held me. She loved me enough to give me up to give me an opportunity to experience first hand the prayer she offered up for me.
Forty three years later this college educated man who holds a Masters degree and was serving as a Pastor arrived in Gloucester, Virginia to hug the woman who gave him breath. What a joy it has been to be reconnected to you and Doug Sr. and older brother Doug Jr. and older sister Laura and "baby sis" Ellen. Thank you for giving me breath Betty Jean! Forever, I will be thankful!!

Judy Dendy - Gave me life...

On March 6, 1963 Judy Dendy picked me up at the hospital and took me home. I became David Wilkes Dendy the moment she picked me up and I have been ever grateful for the gift of being in the Curtner/Dendy family heritage. Moving all over the country allowed me to learn new cultures and learn the great joy of "adapting" to new situations with ease - something that carries with me to this day. I was the first baby baptized at the Indian River Presbyterian Church where mom and dad had helped start a new church development. We settled in Orange, California where my faith in the Lord Jesus Christ took on new and everlasting meaning. I sang in the church choir. I played every sport under the sun. I was active in the Youth Group. I learned the complete joy of sitting on the beach and watching the waves crash hour after hour. I made lifelong friends. Mom encouraged me in my educational pursuits. Off to Davidson College I went, 3,000 miles away from SoCal. After that I was on my own, but only because of the life lessons I had learned from Judy Dendy while sitting around the dining room table meal after homemade meal, or riding in the car or sitting in the family room. Mom - you loved me enough to pick me out at the hospital and take me home and claim me as your own. Forever, I will be thankful!!


Julie Dendy - Allowed me to discover life all over again...

On December 13, 1998 I went on my first date with Julie Keller. We went to the Houston Pop's Christmas Concert at Jones Hall in Houston, Texas. My life was a mess. No longer a pastor. No longer in touch with my two daughters. In the middle of a court battle on the personal and clergy level, my tote of dysfunction and disillusionment was large and heavy. With all her friends saying, "Don't get mixed up with a guy as mixed up as that" Julie forged ahead believing wholeheartedly that God was at work (with me and with us!).  Julie... what can I say? I rediscovered what joy was all about. I rediscovered that it was okay to be indecisive, unsure, insecure and vulnerable. I discovered what it meant to be loved for who I am and not for who I should be or ought to be. I discovered that I could offer my opinion without getting my head bit off in the process. I discovered how to speak freely versus having to watch every syllable that would come out of my mouth for fear of upsetting someone. I rediscovered that it was okay to be me - the one that God created so many years ago. I rediscovered my calling in becoming a pastor again. I rediscovered my passion for preaching. I rediscoverd my great love for the craziest institution in the world - The Church! O how I love the Church! I discovered what it meant to trust in God for beginning a family that went from zero children to two in a five month span!! I rediscovered the joy of adventure with such philosophies as "Let's go!! and Let's do it!" I rediscovered how to laugh out loud again!! I have rediscovered so much with you Julie! Forever, I will be thankful!!

The scripture is clear...
Jesus proclaims - "I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." (John 10. 10)

My life has been just that... life abundant!
Let's get this party going! The next 50 will be even more adventurous!!

Thank you...Betty Jean!

Thank you... Judy Dendy!!

Thank you... Julie Dendy!!!

And most of all... Thank you dear Lord!!!!

Forever I will be thankful!

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

ps - And for the rest of you out there... You know who you are... Thank you!!
Forever, I will be thankful!!

1 comment: