Thursday, March 21, 2013

I Choose You

I was participating in a small group last night at church. There were ten of us gathered in a circle enjoying homemade oatmeal/M&M cookies that a member of the group had made. I thought both of mine were particularly delicious!

Five couples...
One thing in common...

All of us had chosen to adopt a child into our family.
Two couples had domestic adoptions (child was born in the United States).
Three couples had international adoptions.

As if parenting wasn't enough of a challenge, there is enough evidence out there that demonstrates that raising an adopted child, especially a child adopted at an older age brings on a different set of parenting dynamics.

This particular group came together in recognition that the 10 of us have struggles that are not unique but rather are in common with one another as parents of adopted children.

As I sat and listened and asked probing questions, one common theme stood out. None of us were forced to adopt but rather each of us, after much prayer felt led by God to "choose the children that would be a part of our family."

My iWitness...

I don't know much, but this much I do know...That God chose me to be a part of His family. 

And in that choosing to adopt me He got a handful.
I suffer from spiritual ADHD.
I am rebellious.
I don't always listen.
Sometimes I feel very attached and other times I prefer a certain kind of "attachment disorder."
God doesn't always get the credit, praise and props that He deserves.
I run away for days at a time not telling Him where I am going.
I trip, stumble and fall and insist that I am okay and that I can get up on my own!
I run to him and jump in his forgiving, loving, grace filled and merciful arms and only minutes later find myself sneaking off to be with my friends instead of enjoying the company of His awesome presence.
The list goes on and on.

Adoption is messy. And yet, God in the middle of it all says this...

"I choose You!"

His choice is made, not that He can get love from us, but rather that we can experience the mystery and magnificence of His unconditional love for us!

I don't know about you but that's a pretty cool deal!

"We love because he first loved us." (I John 4. 19)

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Chris, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose which he set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth." (Ephesians 1. 3-10)

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

No comments:

Post a Comment