Wednesday, March 13, 2013

On Being Thirsty

Four encounters yesterday
Four people sharing unsettling news...
Two in person...
One on the phone...
One through email...
Two opportunities to pray in person...
Two opportunities to pray from afar...

My iWitness...

My innate tendency is the desire "to do" something about an unsettling situation that I hear about or encounter firsthand.

Yesterday I had four encounters with four people whom I admire, respect, treasure and love. The news from each of them was unsettling. The reality was that there was nothing I could "do" about their situation. I couldn't fix it. I couldn't change the reality that each of them faced.

What was strange for me during each encounter was the overwhelming need, desire and call to pray. With two people I prayed right there on the spot, once while standing up with other people milling around and once while sitting across the table. With the other two, my prayers were held in the silence of my own heart and mind as I talked with God. Praying was something I could "do."

Listen here...

How many times have we said to someone, almost reflexively, "I'll be praying for you" as a gesture of comforting and supporting someone in need? And as soon as we turn to walk away or hang up the phone or press the "send" button, we busy ourselves with something else and basically forget to pray.

I have done it hundreds, if not thousands of times!

But yesterday was different...

The need (and I don't use that word casually), the thirstiness for prayer needed to be quenched right on the spot and what I find so strange this morning is that I still feel the great thirst and desire to be in prayer with God for my friends.

Is this just a phase? A passing fancy? An emotional high?
I don't know and at the moment I really don't care.

All I know is that I am really enjoying His presence and His embrace...

"Rejoice always,
pray without ceasing,
give thanks in all circumstances;
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Do not quench the Spirit.
Do not despise prophecies,
but test everything; hold fast what is good.
Abstain from every form of evil.

Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely,
and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.

Brothers, pray for us. (1 Thessalonians 5. 16-25)

There will be ample opportunities for you to pray with and for someone today. Keep your eyes and ears wide open...

May you thirst for God's living water through prayer today...



And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!


No comments:

Post a Comment