Tuesday, March 12, 2013

I've got your back...

It was such a simple moment. It almost passed by without notice. The interchange between a father and son that might happen a hundred times or more. The words slipped out so smoothly from my mouth that they almost went unnoticed. For my son Joshua it went unnoticed. For me, the dad it stopped me dead in my tracks.

I just finished helping Joshua take a shower. He stepped out and I threw a towel on him. He was drying himself off and we were laughing about something and then he turned around and said, "Can you get my back." My response was quick and profound, "I've got your back Joshua."

My iWitness...

"I've got your back"... four simple words that speak volumes.

When was the last time someone told you that they "had your back?"

When was the last time you told someone that you had "their back?"

I have heard it said another way, "I've got your six..." (As in a clock face and you are facing the twelve and your back would be facing the six)

I can't have my back by myself. Having someone's "back" means that another person is involved. If another person is involved then that means "community" is at work. We are called to be in community and one of the great benefits of a trusting relationship is knowing that someone has my back.

It allows me to walk the talk with great confidence. It allows me to stand up for my convictions. It allows me to go out on a limb. It allows me to run the race of life. It simply allows...

When Stephen, one of the first deacons of the church, was being stoned to death for his convictions of Jesus being the savior of the world, he looked up into the heavens and saw Jesus standing on the right hand of God. I love this imagery... When we stand up for Jesus, Jesus stands up for us.

It's just His way of saying, "I've got your back!"

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

No comments:

Post a Comment