Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Bell Tolls...


It is the same every day...
Every fifteen minutes the Belltower on the quad sends its bells ringing into the University air absorbed by all those that listen.

The canticles of the carillon create a certain constant on campus...

Every fifteen minutes...

Every day...

My office sits no more than 30 yards from the Belltower and truth be told, I don't even need to look at my watch to know what time it is during the day as the Belltower reminds me at the top of every hour with it rhythmic ringing of the hour at hand.

After that, every fifteen minutes through its assortment of tones, the Belltower lets me know whether its fifteen minutes, thirty minutes or forty-five minutes after the hour. 

Every fifteen minutes...

Every day...

My iWitness...

Every fifteen minutes...

Every day...

And here is where my mind and heart come to a jolting halt.

How is it that there are days when I don't hear the bells? The bells are ringing every fifteen minutes all day long. And yet, at the end of the day, my ears grab the attention of my heart and ask, "Why didn't you hear the bells today?"

God speaks to us every minute...

Every hour...

Every day...

And there are days and there have sometimes been weeks where my heart grabs the attention of my ears and asks, "Why didn't you hear God today?"

The Belltower of God's love, imagination, creative power, grace and majesty tolls every minute of every day.

To paraphrase from John Donne, "for whom dost the bell tolls; It tolls for thee."

May I hear God's belltower tolling today and may I hear how it tolls for me...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and fear not!
David!

"The Lord reigns; he is robed in majesty;
the Lord is robed; he has put on strength as his belt.
Yes, the world is established; it shall never be moved.

Your throne is established from of old;

   you are from everlasting.
The floods have lifted up, O Lord,
   the floods have lifted up their voice;
the floods lift up their roaring.

Mightier than the thunders of many waters,

mightier than the waves of the sea,
the Lord on high is mighty!


Your decrees are very trustworthy;
holiness befits your house,
O Lord, forevermore."  (Psalm 93)

No comments:

Post a Comment