Saturday, March 23, 2013

An exercise in patience...

I parked the car in the full parking lot. As soon as I opened the door the aroma was like a tsunami overwhelming my senses.. Welcome to Donut Boy!

The place was packed. Three tables, that had been there since 1976 were pulled together to accomodate the staple of a Saturday morning at Donut Boy - the nine men whose average age is around 73. Several newpapers were scattered about the three tables that indicated the fodder for conversation and the solving of all the world's problems over a donut and a cup of coffee.

We waited in line for a good seven to nine minutes before the person in front of us was asked, "What can we get ya?" His response sent me over the edge... "Well... let's see... what do you have?"

There must be fifteen trays and nine different rows of every kind of donut made under the sun. You have had nine minutes to make up your mind and you get to the front of the line and the best you can offer is, "Well... let's see... what do you have?"

The donuts were not hidden.
The donuts were not behind a curtain.
The donuts were not stacked behind three different doors as if this was "Let's Make A Deal!"
The man in front of me was not blindfolded.
The donuts were in plain sight!
As plain as the nose on this man's face!
The donuts were screaming, "Pick me! Pick me!"

Of course all of this was going through my mind as my two children were waiting patiently for their turn.

And that's when it hit me... "What's the hurry? There will be plenty of donuts after the man ahead of me is served. Just be patient."

My iWitness...

If you're looking to develop the Fruit of the Spirit that starts with the letter P as in Patience, then get ready to find yourself in situations that will be just that... "an exercise in patience."

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control..." (Galatians 5. 22-23)

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

No comments:

Post a Comment