Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Compliments

Compliment - an expression of praise, commendation or admiration

I received two of these yesterday. They really boosted my morale and countenance for the day. Not only did they boost me, they carried me. People asked how my day was going and I said, "Great!" How could it not be going great! Two people had just offered me "expressions of praise, commendation and admiration."

My iWitness...

Here's my question... to myself.

I will let you listen in on this conversation...

"Would I have had a "great" day if I had not received those two compliments?
Is my having a great day or a poor day dependent on whether or not I receive compliments?
Aren't you being pretty shallow David? Surely you have a better foundation than that! Are you now going to go around doing "good deeds" so that you can receive compliments so that you can have a "great day?"

I think you have heard enough little tidbits from what goes on inside my mind...

What I have discovered over the years is that we are a people who long for acceptance, appreciation and accolades.

What has troubled me the most over the years is how stingy most people are in giving out compliments to others.

I was 43 years old before I heard from my dad that he was "proud of me." I told him that I needed to know if he was proud of me. He said he was. To his credit, for the last four years of his life each conversation we had ended with him saying, "I'm proud of you son."

I guess my take is that if Jesus needed to hear that His Father was proud of him, then maybe we need to offer these kind of compliments and admiration to others as well.

Try it today. See how many sincere compliments you can dish out today.

I have a feeling you are going to really help someone have a "great day!"

"And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; and behold, a voice from heaven said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased." (Matthew 3. 16-17)

One more thing... I bet you are going to have a great day too!

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and fear not!
David!

No comments:

Post a Comment