Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Birthday Greetings and Speeding

The speed of your computer is measured in "gigahertz."

Definition of a Gigahertz (GHZ) - One GHz represents 1 billion cycles per second. The speed of microprocessors, called the clock speed, often is measured in gigahertz. For example, a microprocessor that runs at 1 GHz executes 1 billion cycles per second.

That's a lot of information to process in one second!! One billion cycles per second! That's a 1 (one) with nine zeroes behind it - 1,000,000,000.

How about the human brain? Are computers faster than the human brain?

I read an article that says the human brain processes information at 10 quadrillion cycles per second.

One billion equals - 1,000,000,000 (9 zeroes)

Ten Quadrillion equals - 10,000,000,000,000,000 (15 zeroes)

My iWitness...

In celebrating my birthday yesterday I was overwhelmed with the number of birthday wishes I received. Some came through a card or letter delivered by the US Postal service. Others arrived via a text message on my phone. The phone rang numerous times and I actually had the privilege of hearing a familiar voice say, "Happy Birthday David!" The majority of birthday wishes used the wonder of social media - Facebook!

On Facebook the birthday wish might have only contained three words - "Happy Birthday David!"

But here was the miracle of it all - In the time that it takes to read those three words, my mind and my body and my heart and my soul were expereincing 10 quadrillion cycles of memories per second!

I was speeding yesterday!!!

With each greeting I heard the person's voice. I pictured their face. I saw their smile. Heard their laugh. Smelled their aroma. Felt their touch. Was transported to a special memory. I treasured their friendship and I thanked God for each one of them. I was amazed at just how fast and quick and deep the people flashed through my mind. It made my heart sing!

If my brain only processed at one gigahertz, I would still be processing all of those birthday wishes instead of writing this blog!

Praise be to God who fashioned us, made us, created us and loved us enough to build within us the greatest and fastest processors ever...

For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139. 13-14)


A special thank you to all of you that have made such an impression on my life and thank you Lord that I can remember each and everyone of you...and now at 50 years of age I plan to keep on "Speeding!"

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!


2 comments:

  1. Love this David! And happy belated birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. On an earlier version of this post I didn't have enough zeroes for 1 Billion. Ugh!!! Sorry about that! There are 9 zeroes in a billion, not six!!!

    ReplyDelete