Friday, October 18, 2013

Angels in New Jersey



I flew to New Jersey yesterday and had pretty much set myself up for people to be brusque, impersonal and flat out rude.

Here's what took place...

My connection in the Chicago O'Hare airport was tight and I "hoofed" it to the connecting gate as fast as I could just in time to see a lot of commotion around the gate area. I approached a young woman and asked her if they had already boarded the flight to Newark, New Jersey.

She turned, smiled and said in a thick Michigan accent, "Oh no... the flight has been delayed a little bit and actually these are the people getting off the plane from the previous flight." I breathed a sigh of relief. And quickly the conversation turned into why we were traveling to New Jersey and where we were from and how she was in school at Michigan State and how they are "green" Spartans and how the University of Dubuque are "blue" Spartans and how she wants to be a physical therapist and how my wife, Julie is a physical therapist and what a great field it is to go into and how she was going to see her boyfriend and how I was going to see Honeymoon in Vegas starring Tony Danza and overall we had the most delightful conversation.

I got off the plane in Newark and my newfound physical therapist wannabe named Brittany was walking with another young lady out of the jet way. I gave Brittany my business card and said if she ever needed anymore counsel or advice on physical therapy please email me and I would put her in touch with Julie. We both smiled and waved goodbye.

We parted ways and I started walking toward "Ground Transportation" and the young lady that was walking with Brittany was now step in step with me. I looked over and said, "Hey!" and she smiled and said, "Hello..." We walked another few steps and then she stopped and I naturally stopped because she was looking at me. She stammered a bit and finally said, "Excuse me, but I have a question for you." I said, "Sure, ask away." She paused as if to get up the nerve and then asked, "Are you a movie star?"

I didn't laugh quite as hard as you just did, but I did respond with a, "No, I wish I was." She continued, "You look just like one of those movie actors but I cannot remember his name." In my mind I was thinking, well obviously you must be thinking of Brad Pitt or Hugh Grant. We both laughed about that.

I asked her where she was from and she said, "Israel."
"Israel?", I questioned.
"Yes", was her bright eyed response.
We went on to have the most delightful conversation about her growing up in Chicago, selling stocks on the New York Stock Exchange and how Hebrew is her first language. I asked her name and she said, "Liron." I returned the favor and we parted ways with big smiles on our faces.

I went to dinner that night before the show and I sat by myself.
The server came over and said, "Are you all by yourself tonight?"
I said, "Yes, I am from Iowa."
She gave me a look like, "Oh that explains that!"
With me sitting and with her standing we looked each at each other eye to eye.
I asked, "What is your name?"
She said, "Vanessa."
We had a most delightful conversation. Her first language and the language spoken in her home is Portuguese.
She told me how she worked two jobs  to save enough money to become a professional "make-up artist" for the movies. I told her of my love for the movies.
With each filling up of my water we would engage in more conversation.
The time came for me to leave. I told her I would be looking for her name on the credits.
She offered a most interesting request... "Don't forget me. My name will be on the credits one day."
I said, "Vanessa... you don't have to worry about me forgetting you."
She inquired, "Why not?"
I smiled and said, "Because Vanessa.... you are unforgettable!"
She laughed. I laughed. We both gave each other a little fist pump and we went our separate ways with smiles on our faces.

My iWitness...

Angels are considered to be "messengers of God."
I have no doubt that "angels" take many and various forms and we encounter them on a daily basis - sometimes "unaware."

What a pleasant surprise God had in store for me on Thursday in, of all places, New Jersey!
I have no doubt in my mind that I will never see Brittany, Liron and Vanessa ever again.
But for the day, these angels made my day a most memorable experience as I felt full of God's grace and hospitality.
I can only hope that I helped make theirs.

There's no telling what surprises are in store for us tomorrow...
Let's keep our eyes open and our hearts ready to engage even the strangers that cross our path.
You never know...
You might be entertaining angels unaware...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." (Hebrews 13. 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment