Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Happy Birthday Joshua



In February of 2005, after three and a half years of trying to get pregnant by any and every means known to humanity, Julie and I found ourselves providentially in the middle of adopting a baby who would soon become Faith Louise Dendy, born on May 14, 2005.

Four months into my new ministry as the Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Klamath Falls, Oregon, and with the birth of Faith three months away, Julie and I headed to Orlando, Florida for a vacation.

On February 8th, Julie and I were sitting in a Baby's R Us. We were checking out "gliders" for the soon to be nursery for Faith. I was enjoying the swinging back and forth motion of my glider and to my right Julie was enjoying more of the same.

All of a sudden Julie stopped "gliding" as did I, and she looked over at me while holding her chest, "I don't feel so well." Being the sensitive husband type that I am, I looked over and said, "Oh... I'm sorry."

Julie then blurted out these words, "I think I am pregnant!"
My response became an instant classic in our home, "By who?!!"

Sure enough, after running into Walgreen's to get a pregnancy test and going back to the timeshare and sitting there waiting for a couple of stripes to turn pink, the greatest surprise of our life was confirmed... Julie was pregnant!

Eight months and eight days later, Joshua Knox Dendy arrived!
And our lives have never been the same since!
Happy Birthday Joshua!

My iWitness...

Physically, I see a lot of Julie and her family in Joshua. He's not as tall as some of his friends. "Tallness" does not run strong in Julie's family.

Personality wise, I see a lot of me in him. He loves to antagonize his sister and mommy!!

If there is a ball involved, Joshua is playing with it. He loves football and basketball and tennis and golf and soccer and baseball. He loves to play. I see a lot of me and Julie in him.

He's as smart as a whip and yet possesses that wonderful "drives you crazy" absent minded professor syndrome... "Joshua... where are your shoes? You can't go to school without your shoes!" And then he runs back into the house laughing.

Oh my... that laugh!! He loves to laugh!! May he never stop!

Like his mom and dad he loves math and his critical thinking skills are phenomenal. His observation skills match those of his parents. He's a remarkable boy.

Just ask me and I will tell you so!

I see a lot of Julie and me in him.

More than anything I hope I see a lot of Jesus in him.

That is my hope and my prayer for my birthday boy!

Happy Birthday Joshua Knox Dendy!

I love you more than you will ever know or comprehend!
I love being your dad and your mommy loves being your mommy!

Now... let's go eat some birthday donuts!!

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,
    the fruit of the womb a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior
    are the children of one's youth.
Blessed is the man
    who fills his quiver with them!
He shall not be put to shame
    when he speaks with his enemies in the gate." (Psalm 127. 3-5)

No comments:

Post a Comment