Sunday, October 6, 2013

Gabriel's Oboe

Igazu Falls

My eight year old daughter Faith and I went to the Symphony last night. I dressed to the "nines" in my tuxedo and Faith was wearing a beautiful dress. We were by far the best looking couple there last night!! We lasted until intermission and then headed on home. But, first we had to go to the self serve frozen yogurt shop where you can put on tons of toppings on top of your delicious dessert.

Today after church Faith and I were talking about the symphony and the different instruments involved that make up a symphony. Meanwhile, Julie was texting a neighbor who was going to come over and do some "scrap booking" type stuff that only certain kind of creative, obsessive compulsive women know how to do. I casually mentioned to Julie, "Tell Heather to bring over her oboe. I want to hear her play Gabriel's Oboe."

Faith asked, "What is Gabriel's Oboe?"
I pulled it up on YouTube and played it for her:



About twenty seconds into the song, Julie looked over at Faith sitting on the bar stool next to mine and told Faith, "This is one of Daddy's favorites Faith. It always makes him cry." Faith looked over just in time to see the first tear roll softly down my left cheek.

My iWitness...

You may listen to the song and think, "What's the big deal?"

As with most things, context is everything.
Gabriel's Oboe is the signature theme and song of the movie, "The Mission" starring Roberto DeNiro and Jeremy Irons based on a true story of the settling of a Catholic mission in the jungles of South America. The exquisite musical score for the whole movie was written by the great Ennio Morricone.

The well of tears that flow down, even as I write at this moment (while listening to Gabriel's Oboe), find their source in the depth and meaning of the main theme of the movie The Mission.

Father Gabriel (Jeremy Irons) climbs the near impossible Igazu Falls to meet the indigenous tribes that live "above the falls." He finds himself surrounded by the natives ready to attack him. He pulls out of his knapsack an instrument and begins to play what is now known as "Gabriel's Oboe." He is accepted into the tribe...

The mission for Father Gabriel and Father Mendoza (Robert DeNiro) to seek and establish a new way of life for the natives was so clear, so incredibly clear for them.
And what they set out to do... the accomplish with great success!
Then politics get involved and the Mission is told to close by the "authorities."
The Mission decides to stay open and soon finds itself against military intervention.
The Mission is slaughtered...with Father Gabriel and Father Mendoza along with the natives sacrificing their lives for the cause...

Do you have a mission in life?
Is God's call and cause for you so very clear for you to see?

When I hear the song "Gabriel's Oboe" it always makes me think, "What is my mission in life?"
And maybe that's what brings tears to my eyes...
Sometimes, I just don't know...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

ps - The doorbell just rang... Heather is here and she brought her oboe...I'm going to need some Kleenex...

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." (John 1. 5)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to this yesterday and am now haunted forever by the song.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WJhax7Jmxs

    ReplyDelete