Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Rabbi and The Reverend


Rabbi Solomon Schiff

A friend of mine's father passed away earlier in the year and this past Tuesday a ceremony was held at the cemetery where the headstone was unveiled.

Rabbi Solomon Schiff presided over the service that had its initial gathering in the cemetery chapel.
Rabbi Schiff looks to be in his late seventies, maybe in his early 80's. He looked very distinguished wearing his dark suit with his black yarmulke neatly and respectfully placed on the top of his balding head. His small spectacles gave a scholarly air about him that was quickly framed with a surprisingly sweet sense of humor.

In the service he recited from memory in Hebrew this great passage:

 מזמור לדוד יהוה רעי לא אחסר׃
2 בנאות דשא ירביצני על־מי מנחות ינהלני׃3 נפשי ישובב ינחני במעגלי־צדק למען שמו׃4 גם כי־אלך בגיא צלמות לא־אירא רע כי־אתה עמדי שבטך ומשענתך המה ינחמני׃5 תערך לפני ׀ שלחן נגד צררי דשנת בשמן ראשי כוסי רויה׃6 אך ׀ טוב וחסד ירדפוני כל־ימי חיי ושבתי בבית־יהוה לארך ימים׃

Do you recognize it?

It's the 23rd Psalm...

In English it goes like this:

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
    He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.

It's been a long time since I have heard the most famous Psalm recited in it original language. Hearing Rabbi Schiff's voice recite this most familiar Psalm brought this Reverend to tears...

My iWitness...

I had the privilege of spending some additional time after lunch with the Rabbi, his wife and my friend. We laughed about a lot of things. I felt privileged to sit with him and hear his wisdom gained over the years. The time came for him to leave.

We stood at the door as he place on his yarmulke. I asked him if he could recite another favorite verse of mine. Without a word, the diminutive Rabbi placed his right hand in the air, bowed his head, closed his eyes behind his steel rimmed spectacles and recited the verses in the original Hebrew language. As he finished, he opened his eyes to see me wiping mine.

He extended his arms and we embraced.
We both leaned back and looked at each other and he looked up and said,
"David... you are my brother."

We embraced one more time...
The Rabbi and The Reverend...
brothers...
how bout that!

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

ps - Here is the verse that Rabbi Solomon Schiff recited for me at the door...

The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
(Numbers 6. 24-26)

No comments:

Post a Comment