Tuesday, October 22, 2013

She's my daughter



She turns 27 today...
She was born in Richmond, Virginia at St. Mary's Hospital
She weighed 8 pounds and 10 ounces.
She entered the world with a perfectly shaped "cone head."
She got married on June 4, 2011.
She is married to a youth minister at the McLean Bible Church in Virginia.
She is a mom to twins - Parker (boy) and Peyton Leigh (girl) who are about 19 months old.
She has the most beautiful brown eyes.
She has a brilliant smile.
She has the thickest flowing hair.
She has a "heart for the Lord."
She and I haven't seen each other in a long time.
She and I haven't really had a conversation since April 15, 1998.
And oh...
By the way...
She's my daughter...

My iWitness...

Twenty seven years ago, I was right there when Morgan Goodson Dendy uttered her first cry.
Twenty seven years ago I helped place that little pink beanie on her cone shaped head.
Twenty seven years ago I was 23 years old and a second year seminary student.

Along the way something happened that I never thought would ever happen to someone like me.
I went through a divorce...
I left the house on April 15, 1998 and Morgan and her younger sister Molly-Catherine have chosen not to speak to me ever since.
15 years, six months and one week is a long time.
I really wonder if they will ever speak to me.

In the opening paragraph of this blog I wrote just about everything I know about Morgan, who changed her name when she turned 18 to Morgan Leigh Goodson. Her younger sister Molly-Catherine followed suit two years later changing her last name to Goodson as well.
I don't know what Morgan likes to snack on.
I don't know what Morgan's favorite TV show is.
I don't know what Morgan likes to do.
I don't know what kind of music Morgan likes to listen to.
I don't know what kind of car Morgan drives.
I don't know what the twins look like.
I don't know her husband Kyle Cox. I have never had the privilege of meeting him.
I don't know what it was like to walk Morgan down the aisle on her wedding day. I wasn't invited.
I don't know a lot of things...
But on this day...especially this day...
I do know one thing...
She's my daughter

Happy Birthday Morgan!

For all the moms and dads, sons and daughters who have broken relationships with their sons and daughters or moms and dads, I do pray and hope for reconciliation...
Wouldn't that be a glorious thing...
I guess it would be glorious...
I would hope that it would be...
I wonder if I will ever know...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 18 All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; 19 that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation."
(2 Corinthians 5. 17-19)


ps - I found the above photograph of Morgan on Google...


No comments:

Post a Comment