Thursday, October 31, 2013

Knock, Knock!



We all know what today is... Halloween!
We all know what is going to happen tonight...
The door is knocked...
The bell is rung...
I love the built up anticipation that takes place between the ringing of the doorbell and the actual opening of the door to reveal the masked "trick or treaters."
I gasp in wonder and delight, full of questions that are asked out loud, "Who are you? What are you dressed up as? Are you Batman or Ironman?, all the while pleading ignorance on today's and yesterday's Superheroes and trending costumes.
Then there is the opening of the bags, sacks, pillow cases and the healthy candy is dispersed with great delight and laughter.

My iWitness...

There is a great passage in the book of Revelation that gives us the wonderful imagery of Jesus going, "Knock, Knock" on the door of our hearts.

I love what Jesus says..."Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me." (Revelation 3. 20)

Jesus knocks...
We open the door...
We invite Him in and guess what..
He will come in!!
And He eats with us, sups with us, reclines with us, hangs out with us, enjoys us.

Let me add another picture that is also very consistent with scripture.
Jesus says, "Follow me..."

We see people following Jesus.
We watch people's lives be transformed and changed.
We want part of the action in our own lives.

We see the "door of Jesus" and with excitement mixed in with a little bit of fear and trepidation we approach the door and "knock, knock."

The door swings open!
And there He is...
The Alpha and the Omega,
The Beginning and the End,
The King of Kings and Lord of Lords!"

Herein lies the twist...
He invites us in to follow Him and be with Him and to walk where He walks.
And here is the hardest part to hear in the whole exchange...

There is no wondering and questioning from Jesus about the masks I am wearing, and who am I and who am I pretending to be.
He sees right through them all.
I hear His voice gently and firmly saying,
"Hey David! Come on in! I am so glad that you are here. David, I love you so much. Come on in! By the way David... You can leave the mask at the doorstep. You don't have to wear it in my home. I know who you are."

And there I stand...
with my mask firmly fixed on my face...
My mask that has been so affixed for so many years that there are days I am not sure what "I", the real "me" even looks like anymore.

And there's that moment of anticipation and hesitation...
Do I remove the mask or do I keep it on?
Do I really want to know what I really look like without the mask?
I have worked so hard to perfect the current mask, it would seem a shame to take it off...
Is this a "trick" or a "treat"?

What masks are we wearing these days?
Are we courageous enough to take them off in the presence of the Prince of Peace?

Today... I'm taking mine off...
How about you?

Here is the good news...
Jesus accepts us with or without our masks...
He knows who we are...
And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

Jesus says, "I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture." (John 10. 9)

No comments:

Post a Comment