Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Abundant Life



Nine years ago today I preached my first sermon at the First Presbyterian Church in Klamath Falls, Oregon. Since the date was 10/10 I decided to preach on John 10. 10... (Sorry... that's just how my mind works...):

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy.
I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. (John 10. 10)


My iWitness...

When someone talks about Christianity and the Church does the word "abundant" and "living life abundantly" immediately come to mind?

Unfortunately the "brand" that the Christian faith carries in America today is quite negative.

Christians are labeled more for what they stand against than what they live for.

Christians are anti-abortion, anti-homosexual, too political, too sheltered (anti-intellectual, boring, out of touch with reality), insincere and hypocritical (Christians live lives that don't match their stated beliefs).

This is the way a lot of people view Christians in America.
We as Christians can become defensive as we want to be, but some very solid research supports the above sentiment.

Somehow in our hopes and desires to live the abundant life that Jesus came to offer we have allowed "The Thief" to steal, kill and destroy this positive life of abundance and substitute it for a life of put downs, anger, rage, narrow-mindedness, judgmentalism and self-righteous moral superiority.

Here's the question of the day...

I know what you are against...
But...
What are you for?
And that which you are "for"... is it leading to a "satisfying, joyful, loving, life giving abundant life"?

I hope so...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

ps - Thank you to the great people of the First Presbyterian Church for allowing me to live an abundant life while I served as your pastor...

No comments:

Post a Comment