Saturday, October 12, 2013

"Snowball..."



Last night at the Heritage Center at the University of Dubuque, nationally acclaimed artist Jim Witter and his band took us back to the 70's with a show dedicated to the music of Elton John and Billy Joel while casting visuals on the big screen of images, facts and figures from the 1970's.

Jim, being a Canadian told us of an event that took place while he was at a high school dance after he had finally gathered the courage to ask the prettiest girl in the school to dance. She agreed and they were doing that awkward "his hands on her hips, her hands on his shoulders" slow circle dance. The song was about halfway through the first verse and the DJ shouted out, "Snowball." Jim started laughing hysterically in the telling of the story while the audience failed to make a sound. Evidently in Canada, when the DJ shouts out, "Snowball" everyone on the dance floor has to change partners. Jim retold the story and when he got to the point of the DJ shouting out, "Snowball" the audience groaned in great pain as did Jim, remembering the humiliating walk back to his friends who were standing up against the wall.

My iWitness...

Jim's story got me thinking about my own dedication to my partner, my savior - Jesus.

How often in this dance of life have I shouted out, "Snowball" and stepped away from my partner Jesus only to pursue:
the way of the crowd
the lustful desires of my body
the intellectual ascent of my mind
the pride of my self centered ego
the business practices of the world
and a host of other attractive, sexy partners...

Why is it so hard for us to stick with Jesus?
Jesus constantly and consistently sticks with us through thick and thin and promises never to leave us or forsake us no matter how many times we shout out, "Snowball!"

I want to promise before all of you that no more "snowballs" will exist in my dance of life with Jesus!!

However, I was taught early on in life to never make promises I cannot keep...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"And David danced before the Lord with all his might." (2 Samuel 6. 14)

No comments:

Post a Comment