Friday, October 11, 2013

Show me the money...



Last night I attended a gathering made up of people who have included the University of Dubuque in their estate plans. Collectively they are called The Heritage Society. Julie and I became members last night. As the emcee of the event, I inducted myself...

My iWitness...

Jesus offers these salient, poignant words to us:

"For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." (Matthew 6. 21)

I offer these salient, poignant words to you today...

"Show me the money and I will show you where your heart is..."

Before you show me your money, let me show you mine.

Our number one expense in our budget is our mortgage.
Yes, my heart is in my home. I invest a lot of my time and energy to ensure that our family has a place of safety, shelter, security and love.

Our number two expense in our budget is savings.
Yes, my heart is in my future, saving money for a rainy day and saving money to ensure a retirement where I will be able to pursue other endeavors in my "sunset" years.

Our number three expense in our budget is charitable giving.
Yes, my heart is in the mission and vision of the Church, World Vision (sponsoring two children in Africa), a Missionary Family and the University of Dubuque.

I find this to be an important lesson for my children.
The typical attitude amongst most people is that the totality of their estate will go to their children or heirs.

Please think again if this is your thought pattern.
When you die your estate will go to three different entities...
1. Your heirs
2. Your charities
3. The United States Government

If you have no charities, more money will go to the government.
If you have no heirs, more money will go to the government.
If you have no charities and no heirs, all your money will go to the government.
If you have done proper planning, more money will go to your heirs and more money will go to your charities and less money will go the government.

I want my children to know that there are Visions, and Missions that are important to me. Yes, my children are important to me but perhaps the most important lesson I can teach them is that their mom and dad have a passion for ministries that have a positive impact on the life of others. And perhaps in doing so, Faith and Joshua will ultimately turn from looking inward and instead look outward, outside of themselves to make a positive and lasting impact on their world.

Show me the money and I will show you where your heart is...

So...where is your money?

Show me...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

No comments:

Post a Comment