Sunday, December 15, 2013

A Dollar Short...



It was such a simple gesture.
It barely even crossed my mind before offering.
Julie was working this morning, which meant I took the kids to Donut Boy!!
We were fourth in line and the gentleman at the front had just had his "dozen" donuts carefully and delicately placed inside the box. The cover was put on it. The cashier politely said, "That will be $5.00.
The gentleman reached into his pockets and pulled out a wad of one dollar bills.
Guess what?
He was a dollar short.
He panicked a little bit and offered, "I have another dollar in the car. I will be right back." With that he quickly made his way to the door. He had his hand on the handle when I shouted, "Hey! Hey!" He turned to look at me. With a big smile on my face I said, "I've got you covered. Grab your donuts." He did.
Walking out the door he graciously said, "Thank you very much..."
I couldn't resist. My teeth exploded through my wide grinning lips as I waved and said, "Have a Merry Christmas!"
As quick as the wink of an eye he was merrily on his way with a dozen donuts under his arm.

My iWitness...

This is the gospel story in a nutshell.
We come before the Grand Cashier of the Universe and it matters not how much money we have to purchase the donut holes of eternal life and fellowship with God, there we stand with our pockets empty... a dollar short.
When out of the blue Jesus steps up and says, "I've got you covered" as he pays the rest of the debt.
Jesus accomplishes something we couldn't have done on our own.
We are indebted to the one who covers us and grants us the privilege of finalizing the ultimate transaction of eternity.
Whatever "gap" existed is now "covered."
And we go on our way...with a big smile on our face thanking the One who proclaims, "Merry Christmas!"

Is it really that simple?

Yes...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!
But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it— 22 the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. (Romans 3. 21-25)

No comments:

Post a Comment