Thursday, December 26, 2013

Now what?



It always happens...
The day after your birthday.
The day after your wedding.
The day after you die.
The day after the Fourth of July.
The day after New Year's.
The day after Memorial Day.
The day after Labor Day.
The day after Christmas...

After all the anticipation. all the planning and all the build up. The day has come and gone and now it is the day after?

Now what?

What did Mary and Joseph do the day after Jesus was born?
They were only to be in Bethlehem for the census but it looks like they stayed for about two years before throwing themselves into exile into Egypt because of a dream.

What did the Shepherds do after they had searched and found and worshiped the babe found lying in a manger? How were their lives changed? Or were they at all?

What did the Wise Men do after they offered their gifts of frankincense, gold and myrrh? They went home another way so as to avoid King Herod but what did they talk about? What was the substance of their conversation when they returned home?

We know what King Herod did when he found out that he had been tricked. He decided to kill all the baby boys in Bethlehem under the age of two. I have often wondered how many families were affected in this horrific way because of the birth of Jesus and this terrible edict from an insecure, paranoid king.

The baby that had been prophesied for hundreds of years has finally arrived.
The question then is the same as the question today...

Now what?

My iWitness...

The presents have been unwrapped.
The wrapping paper is in the trash.
The memories have been tucked away in our minds or on Facebook, Instagram, Instaframe, Pinterest and/or Twitter.
The tummies are full.
For some, the tension is relieved as family members start heading back home.. until the next holiday.
For my brother Doug, he has a wedding to start planning along with his new fiancé Amy. (Congratulations!!!)
Now what?

Jesus is born!
The newborn king has arrived!
Now what?

Jesus in the manger is how many of us like it. There he is all snuggled in swaddling cloths resting on a bed of hay. He coos and smiles. He doesn't move much. We can go and do whatever we want and when we come back to the manger scene, there he is... in the same place where we left him.

Unfortunately there is a temptation to leave Jesus in the manger all year long.
I find the words of Isaiah to be haunting in some respects...

For to us a child is born,    to us a son is given; (so far so good!!)
and the government shall be upon his shoulder...
Did you catch that last sentence?
The government shall be upon his shoulder!

It's the day after Christmas and the question on my heart and mind is "now what?"


Here's my answer...

David... get ready. Jesus is moving out of the manger to become the manager, the ruler, the Lord and King of my life. The government of my life is now on His shoulders. No longer do I go about doing whatever I want only to return to find Jesus safely snuggled in the manger.


Jesus is now going with me. Wherever I go physically. Wherever I go spiritually. Wherever my thought life takes me. Wherever my prayer life directs me. Wherever I go, Jesus and his kingship and his kingdom will be with me. There is no escaping. There is no exit.

I find that to be exhilarating as much as it is haunting.
My "now what?" is already moving down the highway of life.
Excuse me while I log off and run after it...


And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!

David!

No comments:

Post a Comment