Monday, December 9, 2013

Visibility



Yesterday was a brutally long day of travel. It began with a 5:30 am flight from the West Coast with a "scheduled" 90 minute layover in Denver. My 5:30 flight became 6:15 flight with a "scheduled" 45 minute layover in Denver. No worries! Plenty of time. My flight from Denver would allow me to arrive in Cedar Rapids, Iowa around 1:30 pm. Combined with my 90 minute drive home I would arrive about 60 minutes before my children performed in the church Christmas Pageant.

Once in Denver I rushed to my assigned gate only to discover that there had been a delay and then another and another. Suffice it to say... I arrived 60 minutes late for the Christmas Pageant. Everyone was enjoying cookies and punch when I arrived. I did however have the chance to stack and put away al the chairs in the fellowship hall after the reception was over.

The drive home from Cedar Rapids was painstaking. It was pouring down snow. The roads were icy. I drove very slow and I had very poor visibility.

My iWitness...

Let me rethink those last three words of the previous sentence - "very poor visibility."

How much "visibility" did I need to get home?

How much "visibility" do we need to make it through the day?

In driving home I had enough visibility to make it the next 200 yards or so. Drive 200 yards at a time at 50 miles an hour over a two hour time frame and you can cover quite an amount of distance.

All that to say... Go with the "visibility" you have.
Keep plugging along.
You just may be on the right road, heading in the right direction, arriving at the right destination.
You may have just enough visibility to travel the next 200 yards.
And that may be all the visibility you need...

In retrospect let me revise the statement in question...
"I drove very slow and I had enough visibility to get me home. Thank you, God!"

Getting home was the point anyway, wasn't it?

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead them along the way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, that they might travel by day and by night. (Exodus 13. 21)

No comments:

Post a Comment