Monday, December 30, 2013

Dunkin' Donuts with Jesus



Before church yesterday morning we decided to grab a little breakfast in downtown Milwaukee, Wisconsin at the world renowned "Dunkin' Donuts".

There were two cars parked out front and we saw a construction worker walk in before us. Downtown on a Sunday morning made the city look like a ghost town.

Much to our surprise every table was full in Dunkin' Donuts. Not one seat was available. Every seat was taken by a college age student. Bibles were open and pens were writing in notebooks. It was quiet, conversational and peaceful.

I walked up to a group of young men at a high top table and inquired, "What are y'all studying?"

They kindly responded, "Second Corinthians... Well... just one verse."
I set the hook, "What verse?"
The bearded student from Purdue University looked at me and said, "Second Corinthians 5. 17."
I then quoted the verse verbatim.
Everyone's eyes at the table grew large...
I smiled while inside I was thinking... "hook, line and sinker!"

I mentioned to them that I was a pastor and they quickly had a few questions for me about "Second Corinthians 5. 17... We had a stimulating conversation.

There must have been about 40 college students hanging out at Dunkin Donuts with Jesus.

About that time a policeman walked in to Dunkin Donuts. I walked up to him with a big smile on my face and cheerfully said, "What.. is this some kind of joke?" He didn't think it was so funny. (At least that's what I wanted to do inside my head!!!)

My iWitness...
I was moved that a group of young people would so openly and courageously take to the inside of a Dunkin' Donuts and take over the restaurant quietly, peacefully, joyfully and politely study the Bible and discuss how one verse could change their life.

About the time we got our order the place emptied out and the group was on their way to their conference. They left Dunkin Donuts spotless. "Cleanliness is next to Godliness."

A great way to share your faith, make a statement, show your love, grow in your discipleship and help the local economy.

Dunkin Donuts with Jesus...
Might be something to consider in the New Year...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

ps - 2 Corinthians 5. 17 - Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.
The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

No comments:

Post a Comment