Saturday, December 28, 2013

Wingman



I was on the phone yesterday with one of my closest "pastor" friends. We were catching up on Christmas, the church he pastors, his daughter that is getting married in June, his other daughter's great ministry with the youth of his church and a host of other things that good friends talk about.

After about 25 minutes of great conversation the subject matter took a surprising turn. Unbeknownst to me my pastor friend had recently taken the initiative to confront a very difficult situation on my behalf. I was moved in ways unimaginable. I was humbled beyond belief.

There's no need to go into the details but suffice it to say that our relationship bumped up a notch or two. We have been friends for 26 years. Fifteen years ago he came to my side during a time in my life when no one else did. I love his family. He is one of the most faithful pastors I know. His church is blessed to have him as their "Shepherd of the Flock."

I rediscovered yesterday what I have always known about him.

I am blessed to have him as my "Wingman"!

My iWitness...

Stephen was one of the first Deacons in the first century church.
His devotion to Jesus, the Church and the mission and vision of the church was as passionate as they come.
Stephen's outspokenness caused him to be the Church's first martyr...

 Now when they (the Pharisees) heard these things they were enraged, and they ground their teeth at him. 55 But he, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56 And he said, “Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.” 57 But they cried out with a loud voice and stopped their ears and rushed together[b] at him. 58 Then they cast him out of the city and stoned him. And the witnesses laid down their garments at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59 And as they were stoning Stephen, he called out, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” 60 And falling to his knees he cried out with a loud voice, “Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” And when he had said this, he fell asleep. (Acts 7. 54-60)

Did you notice the key phrase?

What is Jesus doing during the stoning of Stephen?


He is standing!

It is the only reference where Jesus is standing at the right hand of God.
Every other reference has Jesus sitting at the right hand of God.


The Lesson?

When we stand up for Jesus...
Jesus stands up for you!


Jesus is a great "Wingman!"

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

No comments:

Post a Comment