Monday, December 16, 2013

It all started in a Manger



At church yesterday the sermon was entitled "It all started in a Manger" and was acted out by members of the church. Members of the cast ranged in age from 2 to 62. The costumes were homemade. The crowns and shepherd's crooks were of the department store variety. Baby Jesus, once again was played by a doll with a plastic head and his blue eyes fixed... wide open! The acting was at times stilted and felt "staged." Some of the lines in the story were downright comical as the congregation laughed out loud (LOL) on several occasions. My kids watched with great intensity and attention as did I. The message came through loud and clear...

It all started in a Manger...

My iWitness...

Twenty three years ago today a dear friend of mine in Augusta, Georgia gave birth to a little girl. This little girl entered the world with some major medical complications. She would spend her first month in the neonatal intensive care unit.

I will never forget coming into the recovery room and looking into my friend's deepest of deep brown eyes which were filled with fear and anxiety. She grabbed my hand and her quick question struck deep into my core..."Is my baby girl going to be okay?"

In the midst of a being in a foreign town, there being no room at the inn, the cattle lowing, the smell of animals surrounding her, shepherds paying homage to her newborn son, I often wonder during this time of the year what Mary went through that first Christmas.

Mary had already been told that her son was going to be something special by the angel Gabriel.
"He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David. and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end." (Luke 1. 32-33)

And now the time came for Jesus to be born in this most unusual setting.
I can't help but think that Mary with eyes filled with wonder and fear might have asked God the same question my friend asked me...
"Is my baby son going to be okay?"

Jesus turned out to be more than okay...
In fact he turned out to be perfect.
There would be incredible heartache and immeasurable joy for Mary along the way...
And it all started in a Manger...

Praise be to God!

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

ps - Happy 23rd Birthday Anna!
And for my deep brown eyed friend Denise...
My answer today is the same as it was 23 years ago...
"Yes... the answer is YES! She is going to be okay!"

No comments:

Post a Comment