Friday, December 13, 2013

The Lion Chaser



Yesterday was going to be a tense day...
The timing of text that came in at 10:25 am from my wife Julie was perfect...

"I am praying for you today, I think you are in a pit with a lion on a snowy day! God will get you through..."

My eyes flooded with tears...

My iWitness...

Julie knows that  one of my heroes of the Bible is Benaiah.
Ever heard of him?
Is he an Old Testament guy or a New Testament guy?
We find him buried in the book of 2 Samuel, twenty-third chapter, twentieth and twenty-first verses...

"There was also Benaiah son of Jehoida, a valiant warrior from Kabzeel. He did many heroic deeds, which included killing two of Moab's mightiest warriors. Another time he chased a lion down into a pit. Then, despite the snow and slippery ground, he caught the lion and killed it..."

Most of the lions I come face to face with elicit great fear when they are registered in my visual cortex. Once my brain has come to grips that a lion is staring me down my muscles reflexively react in a way that make my legs and feet move in a way that would qualify for the Olympics in the 100 meter dash. I run!

Not Benaiah...

He doesn't run away from lions.
No...
He chases lions.
Benaiah is a lion chaser.

I love how the author of this book depicts Benaiah's conquest.
It's not enough that Benaiah is chasing a lion.
It's not enough to add that while chasing the lion, Beanaiah finds himself stuck in a pit with the king of the jungle.
Forget the fact that the ground is slippery.
Oh no ladies and gentlemen... the author adds, "by the way... it's snowing!!"

Benaiah meets beast in the worst of conditions and come out victorious!

Let me throw something your way for you and me to ponder today...

Any lions in your world today?
Any lions getting ready to pounce on your parade?
Any lions roaring havoc in your life?
Does it happen to be snowing today?

Here's my counsel...

Don't run away...
Chase...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

No comments:

Post a Comment