Friday, November 1, 2013

Trick or Treat

I am still stuck on the Halloween theme.
Maybe I should rephrase that... I am still stuck on the "Trick or Treat" theme.
Let's review...
The doorbell is rung.
The door is opened.
On one side of the door stands a costumed child enthusiastically proclaiming, "Trick or Treat!" while holding some sort of receptacle to receive a treat while you, the owner of the home stands on the other side of the door.

My iWitness...

A strange thought occurs to me...
Why are the costumed capers of small treats so satisfied with their take?

They come to my home where there is a huge banquet of food and treats not more than 30 feet away from the fornt door and yet not one of them ever asks, "Is there more?"

Not one of them ever inquires, "I have had a long night. May I come in and rest for awhile, maybe get to know you, kick my feet up and have a filet mignon?"

Never once has this occured!

The theme of the night is "Grab and Go!"

I can't help but think that we live out our lives in this manner with God.
We approach the Throne of Grace.
God stands there with a banquet table full of blessings, adventures and odysseys.
And yet...
All we ask for is a little "snack" size blessing and then we are off and running away to the next door down the street.

Why are we satisfied with such an approach in our relationship with the Giver of all Good things?

The more I think about this the more I think that I have been "tricked" and not "treated."
Not by God's doing... His door is open wide, inviting me in.
I have been tricked by my own doing because I am so easily and quickly satisfied with too little instead of too much.

I wonder if God feels the same...

And that's my iWitness...
Laugh often and Fear not!
David!

"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly." (John 10. 10)

No comments:

Post a Comment